texascavers Digest 9 Jun 2014 17:03:03 -0000 Issue 1992

Topics (messages 23922 through 23925):

book review: crystal caves of Mexico
        23922 by: Mixon Bill

book review: archeological investigations
        23923 by: Mixon Bill

almost a funny story
        23924 by: David

Rescue in Germany at a -1148 m cave
        23925 by: Fofo

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message --- "Journey into the Giant Selenite Crystal Caves of Mexico." Leela Hutchison. CreateSpace; 2014. ISBN 978-1496145680. 6 by 9 inches, softbound, 102 pages. $19.95.

This little book was self-published by the author using CreateSpace and is sold by Amazon. There is also a Kindle version. One might expect a book with such a high price per page to contain a lot of nice color photos of the spectacular giant crystals, but in fact the book contains only a few small, mostly poor-quality black-and-white ones. The text isn't much either, the type being large, and isn't much to brag about, either. It could have used a good going over by a middle- school English teacher. After some background on the author's interest in crystals, it tells the story of the author's 2001 visit to the recently discovered Ojo de la Reina and Cave of the Crystals in the Naica mine in Chihuahua. She was one of the first two women to visit the caves, apparently on the same trip when Carlos Lazcano took the first photographs of the crystals to be published in caving literature, in "AMCS Activities Newsletter" 25, 2002. The visit, without benefit of the cooling gear used on later explorations, was grueling, but very exciting to the author, who is into healing by crystal energy and that sort of thing.—Bill Mixon
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: a...@mexicancaves.org or sa...@mexicancaves.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- "Cave Explorations in Missouri, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama." Gerard Fowke. St. Louis, J. Missouri; 2013. ISBN 978-1-940777-06-1. 5.5 by 8.5 inches, softbound, 209 pages. $14.95.

This is an abridged reprint, newly typeset, of Fowke's classic 1922 "Archeological Investigations," bulletin 76 of the Bureau of American Ethnology at the Smithsonian Institution. The grayscale illustrations in the original are well reproduced. Roughly the first three-quarters of the reprint covers about seventy-five caves and a few other sites in Missouri; the remainder is devoted to caves in the other states in the title. The material in the original that is not included, about a quarter of that book, is non-cave material, including archaeology of Hawaii. (A couple of modern cave burials in Hawaii are mentioned.) Amazon lists at least three recent facsimile reprints of the whole book, at higher prices. It isn't hard to find a used original on the web for less than the price of this partial reprint.—Bill Mixon
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: a...@mexicancaves.org or sa...@mexicancaves.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Sorry I missed the big party in Austin, Saturday evening.

For the record, I drove from Houston about 5 miles west in that
direction procrastinating
back and forth about going.  I decided not to go. Then I made a U-turn
and headed back towards the
party, and drove for about 1/4 mile before I made another U-turn.
Finally, facing the music, I yelled some explicatives to the wind, and
then went and had dinner and
watched the X-Games on tv at the restaurant, which ironically were
going on in Austin.

I sat there pondering and had to accept that the realities of life
this time, were greater than my irresponsibilites.

A few hours later, as I was sitting around the apartment with nothing
to do, I almost got in the
car with the goal of getting there by 2 a.m. and just taking a quick
dip in The Pond
and then camping out enjoying the summer weather, and maybe having breakfast
with any cavers that camped out there.    But that seemed like a bad idea.

Hopefully, I can make one of the Sunday Swims later this summer.

On a related note,

I am still looking for a roommate at my apartment near downtown Houston.  If I
do not find one by the end of the month, I will have to pack up and
put all my stuff in my rental storage unit again.      I wasted so
much time on Craigslist looking, but only
weirdos and free-loaders responded.

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

There's an ongoing rescue in Germany, at Riesending-Schachthohle, with a total depth of -1148 m (-3770 ft). The patient is apparently at around -1000 m (-3300 ft) and 200 people are involved in the rescue.

Here's a link with some information:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27759819

- Fofo

--- End Message ---