In the news today, it was announced that the chemist credited with the
discovery of Kevlar,
has passed away.  Stephanie Kwolek was her name.

Sometime around 1986 or 87, I was taking a materials science course at
A&M and had access to a tensile-test machine.    I asked the professor
if I could test a piece of 5mm Kevlar cord.

I put a figure 8 knot in each end. and tied each end to the steel bar
connectors.   I think I had about 15 inches between the knots.

It broke in the middle of the upper knot at around 10,000 pounds.
The professor was
quite surprised.

I used the cord in my Mitchell System, from my foot to an upper Jumar,
several times over a 2 year period, on some pits that were under 200
feet.     At the foot attachment, I tied the Kevlar cord into a
chicken-loop rig, described by James Jasek ( I think ) in a Texas
Caver in the late 70's or early 80's.   So that the Kevlar cord was
the only thing holding my foot to the Jumar.   I did not tie the cord
to the Jumar eye-hole, but wrapped it around the handle and tied it
off.

While I would not recommend doing that now, I would say the cord is
light enough to throw in the cave-pack for an emergency or as a
back-up.

David Locklear