The European Space Agency has sponsored several caving videos that
are available on YouTube. Below is one of the latest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tcH3udQPug

There was a fascinating newstory today about researchers finding a way
to possibly freeze human organs. I do not know how to make that sound
caving related. But in the future, cavers who have serious accidents might
just luck out and have a nearby frozen organ available to save their life ?
Or
maybe we could freeze the beef for the 2025 TCR years in advance ?

I purchased the flashlight below at Ross for $ 15 plus tax.

http://lghttp.19110.nexcesscdn.net/8093B0/campingstation/media/catalog/product/cache/7/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/0/2000000733.jpg

That is kind of expensive for a flashlight these days. It is the heaviest
flashlight I have
ever owned. The beam pattern is very odd, but somewhat practical. The light
pattern has a bright spot in the center and almost no light above or below
the center, yet
to the left and right of the center there is usable light farther than any
flashlight I have
ever seen, which gives the flashlight its name, "Coleman Widebeam." The
hook on the end of the tail-cap is heavy duty and works like the
curved part of a lock like you would put on a fence-gate, and seems to be
designed
to use hanging from a loop of 1" nylon webbing. It opens by turning the red
ring on the
tail-cap. That is some fancy engineering, but not sure how useful that
feature is.

It seems to me that several times a year a Texas caver in good standing
finds themselves in some sort of pickle, and they need help from their
caving friends. It would
seem like there could be a more efficient way to spread the word or to help
the
caver in question. A caver could volunteer to manage some sort of fund,
that is
distributed privately when there is an emergency, as to keep the
speleo-politics out
of the equation. One way to do that is to use something like Chase QuickPay
which
allows deposits to be made using just an email address. My best banking
experience
has been with Frost Bank and my credit-union. But Bank of America now has
ATMs that have live tellers available after-hours. ( get ready to see more
of that and less human-tellers ) Some cultures have a concept used often by
groups of people pooling
their money together. It could work something like that, and not have to be
anything
too fancy or formal.

I can offer a caver a sofa to sleep on for one night in an emergency if
they have some
reason to be near downtown Houston. Once the new light-rail service starts
next month, the Houston Medical Center will be just minutes from my front
door. I am not yet set up to have more than one guest for more than one
night, but my plan is to have
a guest room sometime in 2014.

My wife and I have not reached an agreement on how our separation will
work.  My idea is to have more time for myself and zero time to the
ex-wife, so in theory, I will have more time to get back into caving,  I am
guessing at the rate things are going that she
has already consulted an attorney. This doesn't seem to bother me, but I am
very
worried about our 9 year old daughter. My parents divorced when I was 7,
but it was
a different situation, but it doesn't seem that long ago, even though it
was 42 years ago.   I now only get messages from my ex-wife thru my
daughter, and have zero control over my visitation rights.  In my present
state of mind, I could not recommend marriage to anyone.

David Locklear