Back in 2011, I did extensive copy-editing of a manuscript called "A Fine Cave: The Elusive Splendor of Lechuguilla Cave, A Twenty-Year Odyssey of Discovery," by Ron DeLano with Donald Davis. It turned out to be quite a project, as the text was about 170,000 words. At the time I envisioned a book something like "Deep Secrets," about the same cave, with a few maps for clarity and a token number of color photos. For a while we thought that the NSS might publish the book, but that didn't work out. (My editing was not predicated on that assumption. I just figured if I didn't do it, nobody would.) The difficulty, if not impossibility, of finding a commercial publisher for the book, together with DeLano's reluctance to sign over the copyright, has caused him to publish it himself as an e-book, and as a trilogy, since DeLano has added, I'm told, 175 illustrations.

The first third of the book is now available as "Elusive Majesty: Part 1 of the Exploration of the World's Most Beautiful Cave." Supposedly all major sources of e-books have it. One for sure is Amazon as a Kindle book for $9.99:

http://www.amazon.com/Elusive-Majesty-Exploration-Worlds-Beautiful-ebook/dp/B00I0GP4RA/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1390585419&sr=1-1&keywords=lechuguilla

or just search for Ron DeLano or Elusive Majesty.

So far I have only seen the text. I suppose sooner or later I'll break down and buy a version I can view on my computer, although I'm not real interested in e-books with rights protection, so that I presumably couldn't even shelve a copy on disk. I can say that cavers will find the text a good read, if occasionally controversial. And of course it's hardly possible to take a bad photograph of Lechuguilla Cave. -- Mixon
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone’s feelings unintentionally.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: a...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org