texascavers Digest 23 Oct 2013 16:06:44 -0000 Issue 1870

Topics (messages 22943 through 22951):

Poison Ivey and Climate Change
        22943 by: Josh Rubinstein

Re: Poison-ivy and Karst
        22944 by: Gill Edigar
        22945 by: Phil Winkler
        22949 by: Bob West

Re: Poison-ivy
        22946 by: Gill Edigar
        22947 by: Tom Rogers
        22948 by: Tom Rogers
        22951 by: Mary Thiesse

Anacardiaceae
        22950 by: BMorgan994.aol.com

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
The higher CO2 is not only promoting an abundance of Poison Ivey but making
it more potent. See
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/climate-change-brings-super-poison-ivy
After
a lifetime in the woods, it is only in the last decade that I have been
effected by the toxin.

Josh

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I forgot to mention an apocryphal story regarding my East Texas cousins who
were Piney Woods squirrel hunters in their youth and often came home with
poison ivy lesions. My aunt used an old procedure that involved my cousins
taking a certain number (which I don't remember) of ripe poison ivy seeds
by mouth for several (again, I don't remember how many) days. They were,
reportedly, cured of their sensitivity to poison ivy--or, at least, it was
greatly diminished.
--Ediger

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 6:15 PM, <dirt...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Poison-ivy and Karst
>
> How cave related can you get??  (I'll do everything I can to get this site
> back on track)
>
> I grew up in New York and was terribly allergic to poison ivy as a
> youngster.  Like, someone burned some  brush with the vines in the pile, a
> half-mile away.  Good Lord, was I ever in an awful itchy situation after
> the smoke passed over me ------.  Fortunately my lungs did not react.
>
> When I started to do karst and geological things in upstate NY, I
> discovered two things:
>
> 1. To see the bedrock I had to crawl on my belly like a snake up stream
> beds.
>
> 2. I could map the limestone without ever seeing it, just by mapping where
> the lush poison ivy grew. (THAT is the Karst tie-in)
>
> After I came West, I could more easily see Rocks and I gradually lost my
> extreme reaction.  But I learned what George cautioned:  Immunity is lost
> by repeated exposure.
>
> Then I moved to Texas and discovered Poison Oak.  It makes TREES going up
> the cliffs with trunks as big around as Bob Oakley's thighs around springs
> in the Big Bend.  ESPECIALLY in what is now Big Bend Ranch State Park.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Pretty sure poison oak can be found in the eastern US, too.
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/poison-ivy-oak-and-sumac-leaves and sumac, too.

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 6:15 PM, <<mailto:dirt...@comcast.net>dirt...@comcast.net> wrote:

[...]

No virus found in this message.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I remember being very sensitive to poison ivy in my early teens growing up in
northern Brown county.  All it had to be was springtime and I would get itchy
welts on my ankles and wrists.  My parents found some poison ivy extract that
came in a dropper bottle.  I would take 1 drop a day for a week or 10 days;
then 2 drops a day for that long and do that all the way to 10 drops a day.  I
would start the drop therapy in the winter so by springtime I was up the the 10
drop max and my sensitivity was then greatly diminished.

My mother would get poison ivy reaction regularly and not even be around it.
She stopped getting it when she stopped handling my fathers dirty jeans putting
them in the washing machine.

Bob West

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 08:42:57 -0500
From: gi...@att.net
To: dirt...@comcast.net
CC: Texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Poison-ivy and Karst

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 8:27 AM, <vivb...@att.net> wrote:

>    If you're in Texas, it's Poison Ivy. Poison Oak grows on the West
> coast. the leaf and habit is pretty different, but still 3 leaflets per
> leaf, and variable. Poison Ivy forms a vine more, but will also form a
> bush.
>      best way to prevent it is wash and wash and wash again with a good
> oil cutting soap. I use dawn or the brand "technu" which is specific for
> poison ivy. If you're getting new breakout bumps, then you haven't washed
> it all off yet. Half frozen wet paper towels feel really good on it.
>      No one is immune to poison ivy. For some people it takes more
> exposure. The more you are exposed to it, the more sensitive you become.
>  You cannot develop an immunity.
> Vivian Loftin
>
>   ------------------------------

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
If you don't like the idea of mineral spirits on your skin then just use
rubbing alcohol. Works almost as good. Or buy over priced deodorized mineral
spirits(tecnu). Probably just as carcinogenic as canned paint thinners. Any of
that is way safer than the doctor. I wouldn't want the shot that's lasted over
fifty years(Bill Walden). If nothing is available water and dirt makes mud. The
more alkaline the dirt the better. Add some ash to make it even more alkaline.
Whatever it takes to get the oil off. Anything to avoid doctors.
Tom

________________________________
When I was young I would break out horribly from poison ivy. At age 7 (1949) I
underwent a series of shots for poison ivy. Following those shots I didn't
break out from contact with poison Ivy. Today it is rare for me to get a bubble
or two after contact with that plant. I believe that the shots are no longer
given.

Bill Walden

On 10/23/2013 8:59 AM, Gill Edigar wrote:

A technical point or two: Reaction to Poison Ivy, etc, is a chemical contact
condition, not an allergy.
>And I'm not sure that we can describe resistance to it as an 'immunity' since
>it's not a disease.
>I'm a little unsure about Tom's suggestion to use 'mineral spirits' which is a
>carcinogenic organic solvent, i.e.: paint thinner (among other things) and
>should not really be put on the skin. It surely ought to get rid of any oils,
>however.
>Thoughts? Info?
>--Ediger
>

>On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 6:50 AM, Kurt L. Menking <kmenk...@bcad.org> wrote:
>
>I also have a small patch of it from TCR this weekend.
>>>
>>>For many years I was immune, but while clearing our campsite with a weed
>>>eater for the first TCR near Luling I was super exposed.  I was in shorts,
>>>sandals, etc.  I had no idea there was poison ivy around but came down with
>>>it all over.  After a few days of trying everything and it only getting
>>>worse I went to the Dr.  It was better the next day, and completely gone in
>>>3-4 days.  Prednisone and Desoximetasone cream, both are prescription.
>>>
>>>Kurt

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I recently went to Poison Ivy pit in Bexar County. It lives up to its name. The
sinkhole was hidden by massive vines. Completely covering it save one port hole
about 20" diameter. It was the only way in so I rappelled thru that and saw
that I could have walked into the sink hole from the other side if it wasn't
choked with poison ivy. It was hanging 10' down the pit. The cave lives up to
its name, trust me. It didn't get me that time, surprising because I was in my
"caving clothes"(for those who know my caving attire).
 The worst place to get it? Not the genitals. In the eye. Salt water every ten
minutes. After that I can largely ignore regular exposures.

I forgot to mention an apocryphal story regarding my East Texas cousins who
were Piney Woods squirrel hunters in their youth and often came home with
poison ivy lesions. My aunt used an old procedure that involved my cousins
taking a certain number (which I don't remember) of ripe poison ivy seeds
by mouth for several (again, I don't remember how many) days. They were,
reportedly, cured of their sensitivity to poison ivy--or, at least, it was
greatly diminished.
--Ediger

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 8:27 AM, <vivb...@att.net> wrote:

>    If you're in Texas, it's Poison Ivy. Poison Oak grows on the West
> coast. the leaf and habit is pretty different, but still 3 leaflets per
> leaf, and variable. Poison Ivy forms a vine more, but will also form a
> bush.
>      best way to prevent it is wash and wash and wash again with a good
> oil cutting soap. I use dawn or the brand "technu" which is specific for
> poison ivy. If you're getting new breakout bumps, then you haven't washed
> it all off yet. Half frozen wet paper towels feel really good on it.
>      No one is immune to poison ivy. For some people it takes more
> exposure. The more you are exposed to it, the more sensitive you become.
>  You cannot develop an immunity.
> Vivian Loftin
>
>   ------------------------------

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I have to say that my instincts tell me that solvents seem like a bad idea in
this case. Working in the lab if there was any kind of chemical splatter or
spill it was always soap and water to wash off the area. Solvents can enable
the offender (whatever it is) to penetrate the skin. So using these products
seems contrary to what I've learned over the years. Personally I think I'll
stick with soap (Dawn) and water for removal of the oils and then treat with
topical steroids if needed.

Mary TZ

________________________________
From: Sheryl Rieck <sheryl.ri...@gmail.com>
Date: 2013/10/22 16:31 (GMT-07:00)
To: Mark Minton <mmin...@caver.net>
Cc: TexasCavers <texascavers@texascavers.com>

Good things to know. Since I am not allergic, I haven't been aware of the other
treatments.

Sheryl

Sheryl Rieck, Senior Oracle Financials Consultant

True SEM Antics, Inc.

361-205-1458 Cell

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Mark Minton <mmin...@caver.net> wrote:

        A related product is Tecnu
<http://www.teclabsinc.com/products/poison-oak-ivy/tecnu>, also commonly
available at pharmacies.  These products wash away the oily residue that causes
the rash .  They work best when used as soon as possible after exposure, but
can help even the next day or two.  Calamine (pink stuff), on the other hand,
is simply a topical anesthetic and antiseptic.  It reduces itching, but doesn't
really cure the problem (treats the symptoms, not the disease).  (I'm also not
affected by poison ivy, but my partner Yvonne is extremely sensitive.)

>Mark
>

>At 06:06 PM 10/22/2013, Charles Goldsmith wrote:
>
>I'm very allergic to it, I swear I can just look at a plant and it jump on me,
>always have been.  The best stuff I've ever found to get rid of it is
>http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-poison-ivy-wash/ID=prod6113607-product
>

>>Of course that's a store brand, there are other products that are named
>>brand.  I've used the walgreen's brand with very good results.  it's
>>expensive, but worth every cent.
>>
>>Pink stuff didn't seem to work very well, my mom always put it on me.  There
>>was also some form of tablet she would buy from the local pharmacist, drop it
>>into a pint of water and spread the resulting concoction on me, but I swore
>>it was just water, never seemed
 to help and I don't know the name either.

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
>Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Y'all sound like a bunch of old women sitting around the kitchen swapping
folk tales.

Many members of the Anacardiaceae produce Urushiol  which sometimes causes
contact dermatitis among those who are allergic  to the substance. It is not
a contact poison, it is an allergen, the response to  which is often
systemic. That is why blisters often pop up in places where  the person could
not
have possibly have come in contact with the leaves,  and why washing doesn't
help. By the time you start itching the problem has gone  systemic and your
whole body is reacting.

Aside  from poison ivy which grows damn near everywhere, there are two
species of  Toxicodendron which are called poison oak, one of which grows in
the
east and  one out west. Here in Florida we have Poison ivy (Toxicodendron
radicans),  Poison oak (T. pubescens), and occasionally Poison Sumac (T.
vernix).

Some  folks are allergic to other members of the Anacardiaceae such as
mangoes, but  for the deluxe tour I recommend Poisonwood (Metopium toxiferum),
pretty small  tree resembling the pigeon plum which is common throughout
the Caribbean.

I  am generally not allergic to poison ivy and other such things and can
wade right  through the stuff, but enough is enough. Once upon a time I landed
a contract to  cut a nature trail around an uninhabited island in the
Bahamas. Poisonwood  constituted something like a quarter of the vegetative
biomass of the island,  and as mentioned is difficult to distinguish from
pigeon
plum. Bahamian  "workers" are inert, so that meant I had to do all the work
of chopping and  hauling while they stood around smoking dope and
complaining about having to be  in the wood where they could fall victim to
either
snakes and Duppies (both  imaginary) or poisonwood. On the leeward side the
trees grew about thirty  feet tall which meant that logs had to be carried on
one's shoulders. The logs  were of course dripping black poison which ran
down my sweaty neck. That was bad  enough and by the third day I was starting
to have a generalized reaction.  About that time the trail swung around to
the windward side where the trees  were only four feet tall but still arm
thick. It was an absolutely impenetrable  scrub that was impervious to even the
sharpest machete. Only a chain saw would  work but there were several
complications. The Bahamians had destroyed the  chainsaws by cutting into rocks
(they did this both out of stupidity and because  they long ago learned that
if the tools were broken they could just stand there  doing nothing).
Furthermore, to cut any of the gnarly stunted trees required  crawling on one's
hands and knees (without knee pads) on the jagged karst in the  hundred degree
heat. As a result, the urushiol vaporized by the dull chainsaw  blade
blasted straight back into my face. That did the trick. After I was  blinded a
Bahamian stepped forward out of perverse pride. After he went down  another
tried. After that the whole crew was medivaced out by speedboat. It  seems that
the poison concentration in the leaves and stems is much greater on  the
windward side of the island. Despite  all that I have reacted to urushiol only
once since.

I  must share one more story about that trip. It was my habit to go far
ahead with  my machete to scout the way and leave a trail for the "workers".
Invariably I would come back to find them sitting down smoking dope and
listening to some story being told by Mr. Fuzzy the crew chief (a fellow whose
350 lbs wife was eaten by a pack of wild dogs in the streets of Nassau). So
I  came back to find the men sitting there laughing hysterically. I asked
what  was so funny and was told, "Missa Boos Missa Fuzzy him find a ting
nobody can  say what it is". Mr. Fuzzy might have been lazy but he did love to
lift up rocks  to look for land crabs with which to make crab soup. In lifting
up a rock he had  found something inexplicable. Now bear in mind that this
was an uninhabited  island in the middle of nowhere, that the scrub is
effectively impenetrable,  that the trail I was cutting did not follow any
preexisting path, and that there  were millions of rocks. The men pointed to a
specific rock and asked, "Missa  Boos what de ting neef dat rock?" I lifted the
rock to discover a pink  gelatinous mass and poked it with some trepidation
then lifted it up to discover  that it was a home made artificial vagina
cast in latex. I can only attribute it  to the drug smugglers who had crashed
an airplane on the island and had  apparently lived there for some time as
castaways using the wings of the crashed  plane for shelter. It was a
disappointment that the bales were all  empty.

Sleaze

--- End Message ---