texascavers Digest 4 Jun 2013 19:26:17 -0000 Issue 1769

Topics (messages 21874 through 21879):

Re: Thumbs up on Honey Creek Cave video
        21874 by: James Jasek
        21875 by: caverarch
        21879 by: George Veni

Re: Save Bracken Update
        21876 by: Louise Power
        21877 by: James Jasek

Accident report, non-cave
        21878 by: Louise Power

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message --- Yes, a very well done and excellent video of Honey Creek Cave. The video editing provided a continuos story. Great job to everyone involved.

James Jasek

On Jun 4, 2013, at 7:44 AM, speleoste...@aol.com wrote:

Last night the link to a new in-depth video about the big Honey Creek Cave, Texas' longest cave, Tank Haul Extravaganza that happened in January of this year was posted on James Brown's Facebook page. It's 40 minutes long and very well done. I know that I'm impressed. Edited by Joe Furman.

http://youtu.be/kG-sSnoXzYU

A+ if you ask me.

Cavingly,

Bill Steele

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
We at Greater Houston Grotto would give the same grade. Joe kindly came to the
last Grotto meeting and presented it for us.

Roger G. Moore

Last night the link to a new in-depth video about the big Honey Creek Cave,
Texas' longest cave, Tank Haul Extravaganza that happened in January of this
year was posted on James Brown's Facebook page. It's 40 minutes long and very
well done. I know that I'm impressed. Edited by Joe Furman.

http://youtu.be/kG-sSnoXzYU

A+ if you ask me.

Cavingly,

Bill Steele

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Fabulous! Makes me homesick for the cave and Texas cavers.

George

********************
George Veni, Ph.D.
Executive Director
National Cave and Karst Research Institute
400-1 Cascades Avenue
Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215 USA
Office: 575-887-5517
Mobile: 210-863-5919
Fax: 575-887-5523
gv...@nckri.org
www.nckri.org

Last night the link to a new in-depth video about the big Honey Creek Cave,
Texas' longest cave, Tank Haul Extravaganza that happened in January of this
year was posted on James Brown's Facebook page. It's 40 minutes long and very
well done. I know that I'm impressed. Edited by Joe Furman.

http://youtu.be/kG-sSnoXzYU

A+ if you ask me.

Cavingly,

Bill Steele

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Just an update for those who are non-BCI members. They done good at the SA City
Council Meeting.

From: i...@batcon.org
Subject: Save Bracken Update
To: power_lou...@hotmail.com
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 10:20:17 -0400

San Antonio's City Council Meeting was a Success

Dear BCI Supporters:

On Wednesday, May 29th, we spoke before the San Antonio City Council and a
packed City Hall against the proposed Crescent Hills development next to
Bracken Cave Preserve. We’d like to extend a big thank you to everyone who
attended the meeting, signed the petition, sent letters, and made calls to city
officials.

We presented our 12-day old petition against the Crescent Hills development to
the mayor and council at the meeting. With 13,300 signatures from more than 70
countries, our petition definitely made an impact. Letters from a number of our
academic Bracken partners were also submitted calling for the protection of
Bracken Cave.

Representatives from Texas Parks, the San Antonio Zoo, the Army’s Camp Bullis,
Audubon Texas, Sierra Club, Preserve Texas Heritage Association, the Heritage
Group, and the Esperanza Peace and Justice Center were among  the 61 people
that testified in support and about the importance of Bracken Cave. Our closest
partner in this effort, the Greater Edwards Aquifer Alliance, did a wonderful
job explaining the aquifer-recharge issues associated with the development.
BCI’s team received the evening’s only standing ovation.

Following the meeting, we visited with supporters, journalists and city staff.
The press’ interest continues to swell – we did seven radio, television, and
newspaper interviews that night, bringing our two-week total to 12 stories,
with more on the way. San Antonio’s largest daily paper, the San Antonio
Express-News featured our story on the front page!

The steady stream of letters and phone calls to elected officials has gotten
the San Antonio government’s attention and they are now reaching out to us for
meetings!  The public support you have provided has given our cause more power.
 We are hopeful that we can figure out a solution, and are continuing visits
with city officials and other elected individuals.

Please continue to voice your opposition to the Galo Properties development by
telling your family, friends, neighbors and co-workers about the threat to our
Bracken Bats. Our “Save Bracken” petition is still active and check out our
website, Facebook page, or Twitter (@Batconintl) for updates on how you can
help BCI. And don't forget to share, share, share!

Help us continue the fight - please consider donating $10 or more today to save
Bracken and our bats.

Thank you for being part of the team and protecting Bracken from the threat of
the surrounding development. We have a long way to go but your support is
invaluable.

Sincerely,

Andrew Walker
Executive Director

Bat Conservation International P.O. Box 162603 Austin, TX 78716 Phone: (512)
327-9721  |  Fax: (512) 327-9724  |  Email: i...@batcon.org

Privacy Policy  |  Email Preferences & Opt-out  | Donate  |  Join us
© Bat Conservation International, Inc.
To avoid spam filters, don't forget to add our mailings to your Contacts and/or
Safe list.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Wow, the power of the People is working.

James Jasek

From: i...@batcon.org
To: power_lou...@hotmail.com
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 10:20:17 -0400

<eblastheaderlogodkblue.jpg>
San Antonio's City Council Meeting was a Success
<view.image>

[...]
<smtp.mailopen>

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
The Department of the Interior employees all got this accident report this
morning. The accident involved a Park Service Ranger who died last year during
a rescue attempt. I know a lot of you are involved in rescues or at least
dangerous transits, so I hope you'll pay attention to what the Serious Accident
Investigation Team reported as the "real" cause of the death. I've highlighted
it in yellow.

Please cave and rescue safely. Your family and friends like having you around.

June 4, 2013

Memorandum

To: All Employees

From: Director /s/ Jonathan B. Jarvis

Subject: Nick Hall Serious Accident Report Released

On June 21st of last year, Park Ranger Nick Hall fell to his death during the
rescue of critically injured climbers at 13,800 ' elevation on Mount Rainier.
Nick, a 33-year-old former U.S. Marine sergeant, was in his fourth season with
the National Park Service (NPS). He was following his passion for the outdoors,
having worked in various jobs that developed his expertise as a ski patroller,
medical technician, and mountaineering and river ranger. Those who knew Nick
describe a quiet, competent leader with a strong, commanding presence.

The Serious Accident Investigation Team has completed its investigation and
determined Nick died because he was not anchored with fall protection during
the rescue. He lost his balance and fell while unhooking a litter from beneath
a hovering helicopter. Yet, the reason he died is far more complex. Nick was
not wearing fall protection likely because of a common human tendency known as
“normalization of risk” which is to become desensitized to the risk around us
and subconsciously accept high levels of risk as being normal after
continuously repeating the behavior without negative consequences.

In many recent NPS fatalities, we found the same failure in our system to
prevent employees from accepting unnecessary risk. The lesson for us all is to
make it a practice to carefully reevaluate the risks we accept as normal—or
even mundane—and to build in a margin for error, create and follow our written
procedures, and provide and use our training. Managers and supervisors need to
be watchful of the tendency of employees to “normalize” risks and must
implement robust management and supervisory controls to prevent this from
occurring in all types of field operations. We also have to look out for one
another and to get beyond the apprehension of correcting our peers when we see
them engaging or preparing to engage in behaviors that may get them or others
hurt.

When applied, the concepts in Operational Leadership should help to prevent
these tragic accidents. We have trained 15,000 employees; now it’s time we
implement what we have learned into our daily operations.

I encourage all of you to read and learn from the lessons included in the
Factual SAIT Report and Corrective Action Plan

--- End Message ---