A couple of years ago I posted a method to get seamless topo map coverage as an overlay in Google Earth. The method presented there (topomaps.kmz) no longer works, but I've found a replacement. Go to <https://productforums.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/gec-dynamic-data-layers/spApcsugU4g> and get the new file exolife.kml (_not_ the attachment at the end of the message!). It may install itself into Google Earth automatically if GE is open; otherwise, just click on the file once you have it, then right click on it in Google Earth and go to Properties. Under the Refresh tab, change View-Based Refresh to After Camera Stops, with a time delay of 4 seconds. This speeds up loading time for regular views since the topo maps are not constantly trying to download when you're just moving around. Drag the topomap overlay from Temporary Places to My Places so that you will not have to load and configure it next time you want to use it. This works by linking to a server of topo maps; the actual maps are not downloaded to your computer except for the view you have up on the screen, so it does not take up a lot of memory or storage space. It creates an image overlay of the appropriate topo map on top of the normal Google Earth satellite view. It works in combination with any other image overlays you may have, like the .kml file for a cave line plot (exportable from Compass). You can vary the transparency of overlays from invisible to opaque using a slider, so you can have as dark or light amount of topo info as you want, or you can turn that layer off altogether. This doubles as a way to have seamless topo map coverage of the entire country. Very handy!

Mark

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org