In my personal experience, when the bear is sighted, it is typically the
rump end as the black bear is running away from you as fast as possible.
Granted there are some that get habituated and are not afraid of humans.
Rarely is a black bear aggressive towards humans that I have heard of or
witnessed.  All the ones I've been around, including a couple in Texas
wanted absolutely nothing to do with me, even the habituated one.  Granted,
with a cub, if injured, ill or extremely hungry, basically anything
abnormal, all bets are off.  Stupid tourist tricks with cameras also cause
issues.

Personally, I am more concerned about cornering a raccoon or coming across
a buck in rut than bears.  Oh, and feral hogs...

Heck, I've even seen several ass ends of mountain lions in the past year.
All running away!  I shower, I really do.  When I'd go out hiking I was
more concerned about the rogue emu on the property or falling than most
other things.

I see bears...

Ranzau,

Val Verde County Refugee living in Jeff Davis County