texascavers Digest 31 Dec 2012 21:57:31 -0000 Issue 1688

Topics (messages 21205 through 21206):

cave nettles
        21205 by: BMorgan994.aol.com

Searching for a new UIS website calendar editor
        21206 by: George Veni

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Here in Florida there are nettles specifically associated with deeply
shaded limestone outcrops. I think the genus is Laportea but not the  species
canadensis. The best way to find them is to get all hot and sweaty then  climb
up overgrown rocky bluffs with bare arms and legs. They go well with
mosquitos, spider webs, and water moccasins.

I have seen lots of nettlish looking lithophytes, probably Pilea, growing
on moist vertical travertine in many different places in southeast Asia.
I've never heard it called petaloid travertine before, but it is as good a
name  as any for the drapery like forms.

I believe that all the huge fast growing spleleothems that occur outside of
 caves throughout the moist tropics are due to preferential deposition by
some sort of blue green algae. Such porous rock serves as a fine substrate
for  lithophytes.

Sleazel

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
The UIS (International Union of Speleology) is looking for someone to take
over as editor of its website calendar. Interested? For more information,
please contact Jasmina Rijavec, manager of the UIS Internet Team, at
jasmina_rija...@yahoo.com. The UIS website is at http://www.uis-speleo.org/.

Feel free to distribute this message to anyone who might be interested.

Thanks,

George

***************************

George Veni, Ph.D.

Executive Director

National Cave and Karst Research Institute

400-1 Cascades Avenue

Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215  USA

Office: 575-887-5517

Mobile: 210-863-5919