I just finished an excellent book on the sad situation in Mexico and I
recommend it. El Narco: Inside Mexico's Criminal Insurgency, by Ioan  Grillo.
The dusk jacket says "Ioan Grillo has reported on Latin America since  2001
for international media, including Time magazine, CNN, the Associated  Press,
PBS NewsHour, the Houston Chronicle, CBC, and the Sunday Telegraph. He  has
covered military operations, mafia killings, and cocaine seizures, and has
discussed the drug war with two Mexican presidents, three attorneys
general, and  the U.S. ambassador. A native of England, he lives in Mexico
City. El
Narco is  his first book."

Grillo also got out there on the streets, barrios, and  prisons and talked
to the criminals themselves. There are areas  of Mexico where most cavers
are not going these days. I have projects  in Tamaulipas and Guerrero which
are on indefinite hold. I got scared off  by things that really happened,
witnessed firsthand by me.

Bill Steele

In a message dated 7/7/2012 7:25:14 A.M. Central Daylight Time,