texascavers Digest 2 Nov 2012 18:49:13 -0000 Issue 1658

Topics (messages 20962 through 20971):

Re: texascavers Digest 31 Oct 2012 16:47:37 -0000 Issue 1657
        20962 by: Benjamin Schwartz
        20963 by: Louise Power
        20964 by: Gill Edigar
        20965 by: Herman Miller
        20966 by: C Tiderman
        20967 by: Matt Bowers

For those on Texas Cavers going to GSA 2012 Annual Meeting & Exposition -
        20968 by: Geary Schindel
        20969 by: Geary Schindel

NSS Webinar, Geary Schindel speaker on Edwards Aquifer of Texas
        20970 by: Geary Schindel

NSS Webinar coming up next week!
        20971 by: NSS Announcements

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Ely, Nevada selected for NSS 75th anniversary convention in 2016
        20959 by: Matt Bowers

---------------------------------------
Re: Ely, Nevada selected for NSS 75th anniversary convention in 2016 20959 by: Matt Bowers

Based on historical records, I think there must have been a typo made in the press release. That one line should perhaps read: "...Matt Bowers predicts, “a higher than average *precipitation* due to the 75th anniversary of the society in 2016.”"

Precipitation, participation. Easy to get mixed up. Either way, I'm looking forward to helping out a dry community in 2016.

Benjamin

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

Well, he may actually be hoping for higher than average precipitation. I lived
there for almost 10 years and Ely averages less than 10" a year. The "rainiest"
month is May at about 1.25"--maybe. The temperatures are quite moderate since
Ely is over 6400' in elevation. As a matter of fact, it gets quite cool at
nite. Check it out on Wikipedia. If you like the out of doors, you'll like Ely.

Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 12:25:20 -0500
From: b...@txstate.edu
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: [Texascavers] Re: texascavers Digest 31 Oct 2012 16:47:37 -0000 Issue
1657

      Ely, Nevada selected for NSS 75th anniversary convention in 2016
        20959 by: Matt Bowers

---------------------------------------

    Re: Ely, Nevada selected for NSS 75th anniversary convention in 2016
    20959 by: Matt Bowers

    Based on historical records, I think there must have been a typo
    made in the press release. That one line should perhaps read:
    "...Matt Bowers predicts, “a higher than average *precipitation* due to the
75th anniversary of
    the society in 2016.”"

    Precipitation, participation. Easy to get mixed up.  Either way, I'm looking
    forward to helping out a dry community in 2016.

    Benjamin

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
The last NSS Convention scheduled for Ely got canceled under a lot of
controversy.
--Ediger

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Benjamin Schwartz <b...@txstate.edu> wrote:
> Ely, Nevada selected for NSS 75th anniversary convention in 2016
>       20959 by: Matt Bowers
>
> ---------------------------------------
>
> Re: Ely, Nevada selected for NSS 75th anniversary convention in 2016 20959
> by: Matt Bowers
>
> Based on historical records, I think there must have been a typo made in the
> press release. That one line should perhaps read: "...Matt Bowers predicts,
> “a higher than average *precipitation* due to the 75th anniversary of the
> society in 2016.”"
>
> Precipitation, participation. Easy to get mixed up. Either way, I'm looking
> forward to helping out a dry community in 2016.
>
> Benjamin

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I started caving in Nevada and I can attest to the arid climate and also
low evening temperatures.

On a brighter note a number of of caves near Ely  directly correlate to to
several Texas classics for example:

Baker Creek System - This is the longest cave system in the state of
Nevada, it is a river cave with an awesome mud slide and scalloped walls to
admire. Aka Honey Creek.

Wipple(sp?) -  this cave is a great introduction to verticle caving with a
short (-150ish) entrance drop and a long borehole passage that extends
roughly halfway through the cave until it nearly chokes and then the going
gets a lil tougher. Aka Deep & Punkin Caves.

Leviathan -  This cave is a monstrous collapse and is also a significant
hike to get to and thinking about it I do not know of any caves in Texas
which can really compare... On another note while hiking up to this cave
you pass a large bomb which did not detonate when dropped by the airforce.

I make no claim that these caves will be open and or advertised during the
Ely Convention I just thought I would give you all am idea that there is
definitely a reason to get underground at this convention.

Herman

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012, Gill Edigar wrote:

> The last NSS Convention scheduled for Ely got canceled under a lot of
> controversy.
> --Ediger
>
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Benjamin Schwartz
> <b...@txstate.edu<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > Ely, Nevada selected for NSS 75th anniversary convention in 2016
> >       20959 by: Matt Bowers
> >
> > ---------------------------------------
> >
> > Re: Ely, Nevada selected for NSS 75th anniversary convention in 2016
> 20959
> > by: Matt Bowers
> >
> > Based on historical records, I think there must have been a typo made in
> the
> > press release. That one line should perhaps read: "...Matt Bowers
> predicts,
> > “a higher than average *precipitation* due to the 75th anniversary of the
> > society in 2016.”"
> >
> > Precipitation, participation. Easy to get mixed up. Either way, I'm
> looking
> > forward to helping out a dry community in 2016.
> >
> > Benjamin

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> texascavers-h...@texascavers.com<javascript:;>

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Gil,

Thankfully that is not expected to be an issue this time. The local cavers have
endorsed the convention

 Carol

________________________________
The last NSS Convention scheduled for Ely got canceled under a lot of
controversy.
--Ediger

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Benjamin Schwartz <b...@txstate.edu> wrote:
> Ely, Nevada selected for NSS 75th anniversary convention in 2016
>     20959 by: Matt Bowers
>
> ---------------------------------------
>
> Re: Ely, Nevada selected for NSS 75th anniversary convention in 2016 20959
> by: Matt Bowers
>
> Based on historical records, I think there must have been a typo made in the
> press release. That one line should perhaps read: "...Matt Bowers predicts,
> “a higher than average *precipitation* due to the 75th anniversary of the
> society in 2016.”"
>
> Precipitation, participation. Easy to get mixed up. Either way, I'm looking
> forward to helping out a dry community in 2016.
>
> Benjamin

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I'm also pleased to say that two of the most vocal critics from the last Ely
attempt are now on our volunteer committee.

I posted a few images from eastern Nevada caves on our Facebook site at
www.facebook.com/nss75th. More to come as we go along, but it's a start.

Average temperatures in Ely in July range from a high of 87 to a minimum of
48. One of the BoG members was concerned about the climate in Ely until he
realized that's it's cooler there than at his home in Kentucky.

Matt

  _____

wrote:
> Ely, Nevada selected for NSS 75th anniversary convention in 2016
>     20959 by: Matt Bowers
>
> ---------------------------------------
>
> Re: Ely, Nevada selected for NSS 75th anniversary convention in 2016 20959
> by: Matt Bowers
>
> Based on historical records, I think there must have been a typo made in
the
> press release. That one line should perhaps read: "...Matt Bowers
predicts,
> "a higher than average *precipitation* due to the 75th anniversary of the
> society in 2016.""
>
> Precipitation, participation. Easy to get mixed up. Either way, I'm
looking
> forward to helping out a dry community in 2016.
>
> Benjamin

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Reminder! GSA 2012 Annual Meeting & Exposition -

I'll be representing the NSS at the 2012 Geosciences Annual Meeting &
Exposition, November 4th - 7th, in Charlotte, NC. Please stop by my booth #737
and support your NSS Bookstore!   I hope to see you there!!

Stephanie Searles
NSS Operations Manager
National Speleological Society
2813 Cave Avenue
Huntsville, Alabama 35810 USA

P.S.

Stephanie will have part of the NSS Bookstore at the conference.

Geary

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Also, If you are going to GSA, here is an opportunity to ask Stephanie about
the new 404 program to help fund the purchase of a new headquarters and library
in Huntsville, Alabama.

Geary

Reminder! GSA 2012 Annual Meeting & Exposition -

I'll be representing the NSS at the 2012 Geosciences Annual Meeting &
Exposition, November 4th - 7th, in Charlotte, NC. Please stop by my booth #737
and support your NSS Bookstore!   I hope to see you there!!

Stephanie Searles
NSS Operations Manager
National Speleological Society
2813 Cave Avenue
Huntsville, Alabama 35810 USA

P.S.

Stephanie will have part of the NSS Bookstore at the conference.

Geary

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

[http://www4.gotomeeting.com/g2w/images/664445319/350814518944691799/embed.jpg]

“The Edwards Aquifer of South Central Texas – An Aquifer Under Stress”

Join us for a Webinar on November 5

[http://img.gotomeeting.com/g2mimages/webinar/themes/basic/button_registerNow.gif]<https://www4.gotomeeting.com/register/664445319>

Space is limited.
Reserve your Webinar seat now at:
https://www4.gotomeeting.com/register/664445319

The Edwards Aquifer is one of the most prolific karst aquifers in the United
States. The Edwards is the primary water source for more than two million
people in the San Antonio area and also provides water for industry,
agriculture, and recreational purposes. Water discharging from the aquifer
forms Comal and San Marcos springs, two of the largest springs in the
southwestern US and provides habitat for a number of endangered species.
Development pressures on the aquifer threaten caves, recharge, and water
quality. Pumping of water from the aquifer threatens discharge from the
springs. This presentation will discuss some of the management and research
issues of this important karst aquifer.

Title:

“The Edwards Aquifer of South Central Texas – An Aquifer Under Stress”

Monday, November 5, 2012

Time:

8:00 PM - 9:00 PM CST (Which is 7pm Mountain time, and 6pm Pacific time)

After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information
about joining the Webinar.

System Requirements
PC-based attendees
Required: Windows® 7, Vista, XP or 2003 Server

Mac®-based attendees
Required: Mac OS® X 10.5 or newer

Mobile attendees
Required: iPhone®, iPad®, Android™ phone or Android tablet

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

Date:   Monday, November 5, 2012
[...]

-Geary