texascavers Digest 9 Dec 2012 23:33:16 -0000 Issue 1678

Topics (messages 21125 through 21133):

Nat Geo Explorer Talk
        21125 by: jack witz

trip report to cave in Jalisco
        21126 by: Mixon Bill

Monday's Bexar Grotto Program 12/10/2012
        21127 by: joe schaertl

Re: [BexarGrotto] Monday's Bexar Grotto Program 12/10/2012
        21128 by: joe schaertl

Crystal Skull Lawsuit
        21129 by: dirtdoc.comcast.net
        21130 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com
        21131 by: Louise Power
        21133 by: dirtdoc.comcast.net

Dec 21, 2012
        21132 by: Louise Power

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Hey All,
Randomly found this on youtube.  Some of the info is rehashed from cave diving
done by Nat Geo and/or BBC's Planet Earth.  For 15 minutes it's enjoyable
enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y5sIKt_-TE&feature=g-high-rec

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
There is a trip report about caving in Jalisco, Mexico, at
http://www.saudicaves.com/mx/monos/index.html
It is almost all about the trip to and from, but still might be interesting. -- Mixon
A chicken is the egg's way of making another egg.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
At the next Bexar Grotto meeting, Monday December 10th 2012 7:00pm, George Veni
will be presenting:

A Return to the Mayan Maze: Actun Kaua

Actun Kaua is an incredibly complex maze in Yucatan, Mexico. Surveys from
1974-2003 revealed 10.4 km of what may be the world’s densest concentration of
passages. Many cave walls are covered with primitive Mayan drawings. Following
an almost 10-year hiatus in project activity, I returned in September 2012 for
two days with local cavers. The trip was partially sponsored by the National
Cave and Karst Research Institute (NCKRI). Its purpose was to continue the
survey, reestablish contact with local officials, and evaluate the possibility
for NCKRI to find substantial funding and partnerships to return for a
comprehensive study. Much more passage undoubtedly remains to be found, but
more significantly, the cave’s origin is uncertain and understanding it may
have application far beyond Mexico’s borders.

The Grotto meets at Chester's Hamburgers.  Chester's is located at US 281 and
Mecca at the Thousand Oaks exit in San Antonio.  The meeting starts 7:00pm and
the presentation follows all club business.

[...]

A caver friend called this to my attention. Some of you know David and Eleanor
Larson's XMET project in Belize. That project gets permission to visit and map
caves in Belize from Dr. Jaime Awe, who filed this lawsuit about the Crystal
Skulls

DirtDoc

> [...]
> family who allegedly stole it 88 years ago from Belize, and if that's not
> enough, the lawsuit targets Lucasfilm, its new owner the Walt Disney Co.
> and Paramount Pictures, which released the Crystal Skull film, for
> allegedly using a replica "likeness" of the Crystal Skull. Among the
> damages claimed are the "illegal profits" of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom
> of the Crystal Skull. The movie grossed about $786 million worldwide.
>
> According to the lawsuit, the Crystal Skull is attributed to Mayan culture
> and is a hardstone carving from clear or milky quartz that resembles a
> human skull. It's believed to have magical or otherwise supernatural
> powers, and there are four known valuable Crystal Skulls in the world.
> Three are on public display at the British Museum in London, the Musee du
> Quai Branly in Paris and the Smithsonian in Washington.
>
> And the fourth?
>
> Awe, whose profile is listed here, says that a proclaimed adventurer named
> F.A. Mitchell-Hedges traveled to Belize in the early 1920s. His adopted
> daughter Anna Mitchell-Hedges is alleged to have first discovered a
> Crystal Skull under a collapsed altar while exploring temple ruins in
> Belize. She reportedly disclosed this in a documentary that aired on the
> Sci Fi Channel (now Syfy) in 2008. The skull is described as 5 inches
> high, 7 inches long and 5 inches wide. It was taken to the U.S in 1930,
> then travelled with the father to England and remained there until his
> death in 1959, after which it was kept by the daughter and later the
> daughter's husband in Indiana. The family is said to have made money
> exhibiting it.
>
> STORY: Steven Spielberg Proud of Fourth 'Indiana Jones' Movie Criticisms
>
> The 2008 film is noted as utilizing a replica that "clearly resembles" the
> Mitchell-Hedges Skull and specifically references it. On the other hand,
> Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull says the artifact was
> found in Peru and was of unspecified Native American heritage.
>
> "LucasFilm never sought, nor was given permission to utilize the
> Mitchell-Hedges Skull or its likeness in the Film," says the complaint.
> "To date, Belize has not participated in any of the profits derived from
> the sale of the Film or the rights thereto."
>
> The plaintiff is suing the Mitchell-Hedges family for removing the Crystal
> Skull from the country and never returning it. In movies, an adventuresome
> archeologist might steal it back. In real life, they go to court.
>
> Just as provocatively, although arguably a tad late, is the claim that the
> exhibition of the skull in the Spielberg film is unlawful.
>
> The lawsuit filed by attorney Adam Tracy attempts to make this claim by
> saying that Belize has a "right, title and interest in and to the
> Mitchell-Hedges Skull and its likeness," and that the film companies have
> participated in a civil conspiracy and tortiously interfered with its

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Disney and LucasFilms should also be sued for making a terrible movie, as well.

As much as I wanted another Indiana Jones movie, uh, Steve?

Should have stopped at 3, buddy!

Mark

> [...]

> Mitchell-Hedges Skull or its likeness in the Film," says the complaint.
> "To date, Belize has not participated in any of the profits derived from
> the sale of the Film or the rights thereto."
>
> The plaintiff is suing the Mitchell-Hedges family for removing the Crystal
> Skull from the country and never returning it. In movies, an adventuresome
> archeologist might steal it back. In real life, they go to court.
>
> Just as provocatively, although arguably a tad late, is the claim that the
> exhibition of the skull in the Spielberg film is unlawful.
>
> The lawsuit filed by attorney Adam Tracy attempts to make this claim by
> saying that Belize has a "right, title and interest in and to the
> Mitchell-Hedges Skull and its likeness," and that the film companies have
> participated in a civil conspiracy and tortiously interfered with its

If studios were sued for making terrible movies, the courts would be more
impossibly full than they already are.
Louise (STAR--Still thinking about retirement)

> [...]

complaint.

> "To date, Belize has not participated in any of the profits derived
from

> the sale of the Film or the rights thereto."

> The plaintiff is suing the Mitchell-Hedges family for removing the Crystal

> Skull from the country and never returning it. In movies, an adventuresome

> archeologist might steal it back. In real life, they go to court.

> Just as provocatively, although arguably a tad late, is the claim that the

> exhibition of the skull in the Spielberg film is unlawful.

> The lawsuit filed by attorney Adam Tracy attempts to make this claim by

> saying that Belize has a "right, title and interest in and to the

> Mitchell-Hedges Skull and its likeness," and that the film companies
have

> participated in a civil conspiracy and tortiously interfered with its

Crazier and crazier.   Awe (Aiwe??) must think "their" skull is genuine, but
there was a documentary a while back claiming that the "4th" skull - the one
that the daughter has - is a fake because some "expert" found "modern grinding
marks" on it.

I do not think this deserves any more comments on this forum.   I am dropping
the thread (and probably should not have sent this - sorry).

DirtDoc

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
My bff just sent me a slide that read:
I think that on the 21st of December, 2012, all electric power companies,water
suppliers, cable TV operators,satellite TVs should be shut downfor at least an
hour or two, just toscare the s**t out of some people...

(insert real word between the s and the t.)
Yours for the millennium,