texascavers Digest 13 Dec 2012 22:00:23 -0000 Issue 1680

Topics (messages 21143 through 21151):

Re: George Veni to speak on Wednesday, December 12 at noon at Edwards Aquifer
Authority
        21143 by: Geary Schindel

greener lithium ion batteries coming?
        21144 by: philipmoss.juno.com

WNS Story Map
        21145 by: Mark Minton

Sunday Hog
        21146 by: TM Raines
        21147 by: Preston Forsythe
        21148 by: Stefan Creaser

mexico traveling
        21149 by: Nancy Weaver
        21150 by: Fofo
        21151 by: Nico Escamilla

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Folks,

This is a reminder of the Brown Bag Talk today (12/12/12) at high noon.

Geary

Subject: George Veni to speak on Wednesday, December 12 at noon at Edwards
Aquifer Authority

Edwards Aquifer Philosophical Society -

aka brown bag luncheon
Wednesday, December 12, 2012 at Noon
Edwards Aquifer Authority
Caucus Room
1615 N. St. Mary's Street, San Antonio, TX

Dr. George Veni, Executive Director of the National Cave and Karst Research
Institute in Carlsbad, New Mexico will be making a presentation titled: "The
National Cave and Karst Research Institute:
>From Inner Space to Outer Space"

The presentation will be held on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 at high noon in
the caucus room at the Edwards Aquifer Authority.  These are informal
presentations so please feel free to bring your lunch.  For directions or
further information, the Authority may be contacted at 210.222.2204 or
www.edwardsaquifer.org<http://www.edwardsaquifer.org/>. Note also that this
talk will be in our new building.  While the address is still 1615 N. St.
Mary's Street, you must enter the parking lot off of Camden or Quincy Street.

If you are traveling a long distance to the talk, I would recommend that you
call our receptionist that morning to make sure that the talk is still
scheduled at the number below.  On very rare occasions, we have had to cancel
or move the talk.  I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you.

Geary Schindel
Director - Chief Technical Officer
Aquifer Science
Edwards Aquifer Authority
210.222.2204

Presentation Description

The National Cave and Karst Research Institute:
>From Inner Space to Outer Space

by
George Veni, Ph.D.
Executive Director

The U.S. Congress created the National Cave and Karst Research Institute
(NCKRI) in 1998, in partnership with the State of New Mexico and the City of
Carlsbad, and was mandated to conduct, support, facilitate, and promote
programs in all aspects of cave and karst research, management, education, data
archiving, and national and international collaborations. NCKRI is a non-profit
corporation administered by the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology.
While many of NCKRI's early years were spent building a physical headquarters
and administrative foundations, it has worked consistently toward its mandates
at the local, national, and international level. The past couple of years have
seen substantial growth in activities through a variety of projects that
include:

 *   The Karst Information Portal: an open access international virtual cave
and karst library.
 *   Designing state-of-the-art exhibits for NCKRI's National Cave and Karst
Museum.
 *   Geophysical research on and to prevent collapse of anthropogenic sinkholes
more than 100 m in diameter.
 *   Humanitarian project to alleviate karst-related flooding problems in
Guatemala.
 *   Karst aquifer management workshops for educators and managers taught in
Brazil, Mexico, Texas, and West Virginia.
 *   Nationwide evaluation of cave and karst research, management, and
education programs at all U.S. National Parks containing caves and/or karst.
 *   Dye tracing in arid karst terrains.
 *   Hosting two national and three international conferences over the next 18
months.
 *   Geomicrobiological research on the potential for extraterrestrial life.
 *
To learn about these and other NCKRI projects, and on how you might be able to
partner with NCKRI, come to the lecture. If you can't make it, check out
www.nckri.org<http://www.nckri.org>.

Biography

Dr. Veni is an internationally recognized hydrogeologist specializing in caves
and karst terrains. Prior to NCKRI, he owned and served as principal
investigator of George Veni and Associates for more than 20 years in San
Antonio. Much of his work has been in Texas, but he has also conducted
extensive karst research throughout the United States and in several other
countries. He presently serves as Vice President of Administration for the
International Union of Speleology and has served as a doctoral committee
advisor for geological, geographical, and biological dissertations for multiple
universities and taught karst geoscience courses as an adjunct professor for
Western Kentucky University for 12 years. Three cave-dwelling species have been
named in his honor, including one causing some recent angst for the Texas
Department of Transportation! He has published and presented nearly 170 papers,
including four books, on hydrogeology, biology, and environmental management in
karst terrains.

George Veni, Ph.D.
Executive Director
National Cave and Karst Research Institute
400-1 Cascades Avenue
Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215  USA
Office: 575-887-5517
Mobile: 210-863-5919
Fax: 575-887-5523
gv...@nckri.org<mailto:gv...@nckri.org>
www.nckri.org<http://www.nckri.org>

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/12/rose_madder_battery_matter/

I didn't know that lithium ion batteries contain cobalt or that they were
so difficult to recycle.

Philip Moss
philipm...@juno.com
Woman is 53 But Looks 25
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/50c8992dc9002192d5ed5st02vuc

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Interesting web site showing the spread of WNS and which species are affected and where: <http://storymaps.esri.com/stories/2012/whitenose/>

Mark

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Greetings Friends, Cavers, and Carnivors,

Gill was kind to make the posting below on his Facebook. This Sunday we will be slaughtering a large hog, so if you would like to reserve an entire leg please call me soon. Otherwise it will be meat by the pound.

Seasons Greetings, Terry

Gill Ediger updated his status: "HOG KILLING Event: Terry Raines y Vico are butchering a large domestic hog Sunday morning and have more meat than they need. Terry is offering entire legs and such for $1.75 a pound to cover most of the cost of feed. For more info call Terry at 512-466-4319."
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Are you going to smoke it with KY Hickory or Texas Mesquite? Ok, I know which
wood is best! I haven't seen anyone cook a whole hog in decades here in KY.
Some involved process out of the Foxfire books and a lot of work boiling
lifting and dipping and scalding the hog to scrape the hide of hair. That's
what I remember the last time I was around this. I suppose you are going to do
some of the above, dig a pit, wrap with something, cover with coals and
slooooooooow cook for 12-20 hours or more? I bet Floyd Collins knew how to cook
a whole hog. Recently I was thinking about taking on some chickens, ducks,
burro, and even a cow or two, including a Jersey milk cow and some hogs. But,
then I realized I would never be able to travel anymore or attend conventions
due to those daily chores....Today gardening is about all we can handle. Wish
we could be there for the event. I still read Mother Earth News each month.

Cavingly,

Preston
  Greetings Friends, Cavers, and Carnivors,

  Gill was kind to make the posting below on his Facebook. This Sunday we will
be slaughtering a large hog, so if you would like to reserve an entire leg
please call me soon. Otherwise it will be meat by the pound.

  Seasons Greetings, Terry

  Gill Ediger updated his status: "HOG KILLING Event: Terry Raines y Vico are
butchering a large domestic hog Sunday morning and have more meat than they
need. Terry is offering entire legs and such for $1.75 a pound to cover most of
the cost of feed. For more info call Terry at 512-466-4319."

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Preston,

Hickory is best, but not easy to come by here. I bought a couple of bags a few
years ago for $25 each. Could do with a truck load if you're ever coming over
this way ;-)

Cheers,
Stefan.

Ediger<http://www.facebook.com/n/?gill.ediger&mid=7329d99G548fab82G5915010G79&bcode=1.1355325547.AbmaSR00iu22OKrP&n_m=tmraines%40amcs.org>
 updated his status: "HOG KILLING Event: Terry Raines y Vico are butchering a
large domestic hog Sunday morning and have more meat than they need. Terry is
offering entire legs and such for $1.75 a pound to cover most of the cost of
feed. For more info call Terry at 512-466-4319."

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are
medium. Thank you.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Thursday Dec 6th Brigit Alexander, her 16 yr old daughter Mimi and school friend Teresa, and I drove to Real de Catorce for a multiday celebration of Humberto Fernandez' 70th bday. The drive down was swift and easy and uneventful. A bit bizarrely, before being allowed to enter the bridge on the US side, each car was being searched with that nifty flashlight and mirror on a stick. When I asked why - we were sonorously told that 'bad things were going in and out of Mexico'. Then we were quizzed as to whether we knew what they were. Brigit won points for quessing drugs were coming in. It was my opinion that bad manners were being exported, but no, turns out guns are being taken into Mexico strapped underneath tourist cars. Who knew. We asked when this search had started and were informed 'it was always this way'. Quess we were just lucky all those border crossings over the past 30 years never to see this.

We had a short stop on the other side for papers for Teresa. While waiting in the parking lot, Mimi and I noticed a tv crew interviewing several of the other drivers. Turns out they were doing a story about campesinos traveling in caravans for safety. They were pretty impressed that 4 gringas were traveling alone and wanted to interview us. We wanted to get going and saw no reason to advertise our presence on tv. Most of the autopista traffic is trucks, probably 80- 90%. Made it to Real by dark, and got up before dawn to hike to the peak of the sacred mountain for a sunrise Huichol ceremony. Then the partying started in earnest with dinners, dances, drinks, live bands, and spectacular fireworks for the next 2 days. There were about 80 guests who had bussed, flown and driven (and in the case of the 4 Huichol, walked) in for the celebration. Hollywood was represented by the director and camera people of The Mexican and Pirates of the Caribeean. As usual there were at least 4 languages being spoken.

Simultaneously, the town was celebrating one of their biggest holidays - the procession of the virgin, a weekend of promenading the virgins portrait thru the streets from one church to the other, then back, wild ringing of church bells, dancing in feathered sequined costumes (not sure what that was about) and live music. There was a group of about a dozen ATV's at the hotel next to Brigits. And perhaps 30 Harley riders at the Hotel Mina Real. A good time was apparently had by all. Mimi Teresa and I drove down to the partially completed Museo del Desierto, an ambitious underground complex with a fancy road, enormous parking lot, elaborate sculptures scattered across the creosote and cactus. and completely abandoned. Worth a visit, very UFOish, and protected by numerous peyote plants.

On the drive home, we decided to try Colombia, since none of us had been there for several years and we were intrigued by the flashy billboards advertising crossing there. The Mexicans are building a multi lane divided highway parallel to the river and there are enormous complexes of factories, perhaps maquilidores? along the way. We were briefly dismayed by 2 looooong lines of trucks and only one other passenger car, idling. But Brigit opted past all the vehicles, driving up onto the grass to get to the vehicle permit booth to turn in her sticker. It was still trucks as far as we could see, but the Mexicans promptly opened another lane and waved us past everyone and onto the bridge. A delightful gesture.

The US side as ever was far less friendly and seemed irritated that a passenger car had entered there interrupting their inactivity. Finally after forbidding Brigit to get out of the car, and questioning us numerous times about our occupations, why we were in Mexico, etc. they got bored and waved us on as well.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Cool trip report! Thanks for sharing it.

I'm glad you had a great time in Mexico. And yes, they're starting to be more proactive about searching for guns entering Mexico (it used to be that there was almost no search when going from the US to Mexico).

- Fofo

On 13/12/12 12:36, Nancy Weaver wrote:
[...]

About 3 times out of ten I've been searched on my way to Mexico from Tx,
one in particular where the guy was asking me a bunch of questions and
tried to catch me off guard: so how long did you tell me that you have been
a lawyer for?
I never said I was a lawyer, officer. Where did that come from?
Go ahead, be safe

Sent from my Iphone

--- End Message ---