texascavers Digest 16 Sep 2011 18:38:31 -0000 Issue 1393

Topics (messages 18600 through 18606):

Re: TCMA Members Meeting at TCR - TSA Meeting!
        18600 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com

Re: The 3rd Quarter 2011 TEXAS CAVER Is Now Online
        18601 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com

TSA elections
        18602 by: Ron Ralph
        18604 by: Mark.Alman.L-3com.com

Re: Herb and Jan Conn added to South Dakota Hall of Fame
        18603 by: Geary Schindel

cook needed
        18605 by: Jim Kennedy

Re: Nobel Prize-Winning Physicist Resigns Over Global Warming
        18606 by: Ron Ralph

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---

As a warm up act to the TCMA meeting at TCR, the TSA Business meeting will be
at an eye opening 8 AM!

Right after the TCMA Breakfast begins serving beans and coffee, grab a couple
of breakfast burritos and come on over for an always riveting TSA meeting.

What better way to start the day by attending a couple of meetings?!

Offer your input, insight, and thoughts to YOUR umbrella organization that
covers and supports all facets of caving in Texas.

Come see what the TSA does, has been doing, and what we have planned (you’ll be
pleasantly surprised!).

If you happen to doze off, due to the late night carousing Saturday night, our
resident bouncers, Ellie and Denise, will be sure to wake you up!

(May have to wake them up first).

Look for us in the vicinity of the serving area and please bring a lawn chair.

Hope to see you there!

Mark

Rapid City Journal, Sept 11, 2011

http://southdakotanews.info/south-dakota-top-stories/fourteen-south-dakotans-added-to-state-hall-of-fame.html

Fourteen South Dakotans added to state hall of fame
Herb and Jan Conn
Herb and Jan Conn transplanted to South Dakota in 1947 from the
East Coast, because in the Needles of Custer State Park they felt
they had found a climbing paradise. They lived simply and sustained
themselves with odd jobs so they could spend their summers on the
rocks. In 1959 Dwight Deal invited them to explore Jewel Cave. For
the next 22 years, they explored and mapped over 60 miles of
unexplored passages. Because of their discoveries, the National
Park Service has opened a new scenic tour of the cave. They have
mapped both the Needles and Jewel caves.
“The Conns have been legendary pioneers, working in partnership
in the worlds above and below ground. They are recognized worldwide
for their contributions to the sports of climbing and caving. Their
athletic accomplishments have paved the way for thousands of others
in the sports of climbing and caving and helped build significant
elements of the tourism industry in the Hills of South Dakota,”
said Sue Brown, a neighbor of the Conns in Custer.
“Herb and Jan Conn are the original Needles climbers. They first
visited The Needles while passing through on a road trip in 1947.
Jan had seen a picture of the Cathedral Spires in a schoolbook and
was curious. They climbed the Fan and the Exclamation Point that
day. The hook was set,” said Lindsay Stephens, author of “Adventure
Climbs.”

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Cavers,

I am looking for a cook to buy groceries and prepare meals for the
upcoming Cave Gating Workshop at Colorado Bend State Park the week of
25-30 September.  Menu is flexible.  Whoever does this will also be able
to participate in some of the daily and evening activities (gate
building and evening lectures).  We have use of the kitchen at the CBSP
Conference Center, where we will be staying.  Gas range and grill and
oven.  Additional pots, pans, serving bowls, and utensils may be
required, as the kitchen isn't all that well stocked.  (We have those
things available, they just need to get out there.)  Please contact me
off list if interested.

Also, as a reminder, I still have spaces available for the actual
workshop.  Contact me for an application if interested.  If you can't
make it for the entire week, we would still love to have your volunteer
help for whatever time you can spare.  Let me know in advance, though,
so I can coordinate meals and bunk space.

Jim "Crash" Kennedy
jkenn...@batcon.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---