from David Locklear, dlocklea...@gmail.com

Have any of you had the unpleasant experience of having to abort a caving
trip ?

I sort of had that experience, over the holiday weekend.

Here is a road-trip story from this past Sunday.

Background info:
__________________

There is a cave that I have been wanting to take my daughter to while she
is still a kid.  She will
be 10 years old in a month, and she no longer acts like a kid, but more
like a spoiled pre-teen.  She has never been in
a cave, except as a baby on a commercial tour once.  I felt my
time window had closed for that opportunity and was very concerned about
that.     On Sunday, I had a 24 hour break in
my schedule, and felt certain that this was my final chance, to do
something about that.

In the few moments prior to deciding to make the road-trip, it seemed
feasible to at least drive in the general
direction of the cave, and if time allowed, I would at least make an effort
to meet with the landowner, to see what his status
was, such as whether he was still alive, or in good health, or even still
owned the cave, or allowed people
in the cave, etc.     I knew the chances of going in the cave were nearly
zero.    But there were 2 or 3 other things in
the area that I wanted to do with my kid, and with a stroke of good luck we
might could get a photo opportunity
at the cave entrance.

A little personal info first, for those of you who do not know me.    My
daughter lives
with her mother, about an hour south of Houston, near the town of Arcola.
I live walking distance to downtown Houston.  Her mother
and I have had a bizarre relationship for going on 19 years, where I just
try my best to tolerate her, and
more recently, only in an effort to spend quality time with my
kid.  I am only making the point that it is extremely difficult to travel
with my kid's mother.

So the 3 of us, got a much later start out of Arcola, than I wanted.
 According to Google Maps, it is 200 miles to the cave, and
about a 3 1/2 hour drive, however, Google does not to take into account the
heavy traffic of Harris County, especially on a holiday like
Labor Day, nor the tropical rain storm,  nor that
the passengers have to stop every hour for some reason.

It had been 16 years, since I had been to the cave, and had not even been
in that county, since then.     But I had been there many times in
the late 80's and 90's, so I figured I could find the landowner's house
blindfolded, and besides my fancy new smartphone, could zoom in right
to where the cave was, within a few hundred feet.

The Trip:
_________

We arrived in the vicinity of the ranch about 2 hours before sundown, much
later than I had wanted.  We pulled up to the spot along the
highway where my fuzzy memory told me the entrance to his ranch should have
been.

Nothing looked familiar.  We could not get an internet signal from Sprint,
so I could not look it up on my phone.

I drove all around for what seemed like an hour, back and forth over a 2
mile stretch of highway.  We passed it at least once, but the focus of
my effort was unfortunately one mile too far north, and my fuzzy memory was
completely wrong about 2 important details.

All the landmarks in my fuzzy memory-bank, seemed missing, and there were
lots of new development.

My stubbornness or hard-headedness would not give up, until I realized it
was futile ( We had an urgent need to get to our next
destination by dark, which was 45 minutes away.    So I aborted the
cave-related portion of our road-trip.     It felt horrible to to that.

Ironically, the map to the rancher's house was readily available back at my
office.   ( The link below is a sketch of that from 1998 )

By the point of surrender, I was carsick and the crew was totally fed up
with the road-trip and demanded 3-star motel.

I used to go to this cave on inexpensive day trips, but this one set me
back over $ 200, which at the moment is outside of my travel budget.

Unfortunately, I was too far from the ranch to note what new construction,
or development has occurred in the vicinity of the cave.    So that
part of our trip was a big disappointment.     We did manage to reach 2 of
our other destinations.     The only thing I think I accomplished on
this trip, is they want to go back to Martin Dies Jr. State Park, for an
over-nighter, and my daughter learned the fun of singing road-trip songs
like "Country Roads," while driving down the scenic rural highway.

Here are 3 photos, from the state park that we briefly visited.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a16h1oa8k4v74o2/AACf2VmKNS0DFrkILHKmeZB7a?dl=0

David Locklear
dlocklea...@gmail.com

Ref:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgm62v0tb1ctrjx/Misc-map.jpg?dl=0

Sidenote:

calling the owner a rancher is not the right word.  If he is still alive,
he and his family operate a variety of businesses related to the use of his
land.  One of those businesses is growing pine trees, to sell them to a
sawmill.   Someday, someone will need to return here to verify the
procedures for planning an organized trip to the cave, and that will
require talking to the owner.  I do not know when or if, I will ever make
it back, as it is quite a drive from where my daughter lives.    On the
map, there is a note that says "Do Not Drive Across Dam"    From there you
can see the owner's fancy house up on the hill.