Sent from Samsung tablet

-------- Original message --------
From DirtDoc <dirt...@comcast.net>
Date: 09/24/2014  8:00 AM  (GMT-07:00)
To "White, William B." <w...@psu.edu>,"Palmer, Arthur"
<arthur.pal...@oneonta.edu>
Cc Jacob Vargish <varg...@gmail.com>,Tara Vargish <tvarg...@gmail.com>,Craig
Deal <cd...@cableone.net>
Subject Hungarian Kast

Hi all

After spending some time driving across the farmland of the Carpathian Basin we
spent two and a half days in the Slovakian Karst (Slovakia) and the Aggtelek
Karst of Hungary.   Impressive and beautiful country.

The underground connection between Domica Cave (Slovakia) and Baradla Cave
(Aggtelek - Hungary)  is no longer closed by the Cold War gate, but it is a
serious water cave expedition with full kit in order to traverse.   So we did
not try it.

Prof. Szabolcs generously spent one morning showing us his special cave and the
surrounding karst. Although there have been serious rains recently, it has been
so dry the last two years that the aquifer has been drained significantly. All
the recent rains have done is to partially replenish the karst. Water levels in
the caves are still low and the boats for the underground float are perched on
the mud.

Aggtelek (Baradla entrance) is certainly a pretty cave and the tour goes
through large passages. Highly recommended is the long tour.  All day with
helmet and headlights through well decorted easy walking passage, and the
guides carry and serve you lunch. This goes seven km from the Baradla entrance
to the Josuafo entrance (man made). There is another artificial entrance
between those two which accesses the Red Lake section,  a large, very pretty
room.

We headed south to Eger and visited the Bukk Mountains, the highest elevations
in Hungary at 800 to 900 meters. Lots of caves here,  too, as well as hot
springs.   Szabolcs told us about one outside of Miscolk that had been
developed as a spa. Float on your back in hot water inside the cave!

Dwight and Mary

Sent from Samsung tablet