  From: R D Milhollin
  To: Texascavers List ; List: Allcavers ; Cowtown Grotto e-mail list
  Sent: Friday, May 10, 2013 11:40 AM
  Subject: [Texascavers] Amon Carter Acquires Painting "The Caves"

http://www.cartermuseum.org/press/releases/amon-carter-museum-of-american-art-announces-acquisition-of-its-first-painting-by-19th-century-artist-robert

  Fort Worth;s Amon Carter of American Art has acquired a large painting by
Robert Seldon Duncanson (1821-1872) entitles "The Cave painted in 1869.

  "Impressive in scale, the painting is approximately 3 feet tall and is in
magnificent condition. The Caves is painted in the Hudson River School
tradition, which was an inspiration to Duncanson after he viewed works by
Thomas Cole and other Hudson River School artists at Cincinnati’s Western Art
Union in the late 1840s. The scene depicts an intimate view of the wilderness,
with unusual geographic features of steep ravines and sandstone cliffs
perforated by a canopy of evergreens and a trio of caverns.
  “At first glance, the scene suggests a documented view of untouched nature,”
says Rebecca Lawton, curator of paintings and sculpture. “But then we notice
three figures making their way up a steep incline toward the mouths of the
caves.
  Here is a link to an article that has the painting pictured:
  http://www.artdaily.org/index.asp?int_sec=11&int_new=62279#.UY0iYJWXG9s

  Something new to show to visiting cavers who stay in Fort Worth. If you don't
have (natural) caves, having great art depicting caves will have to do!