For me, NaturFest has already started.     Things have to get done between now
and Saturday morning.    I was at the campground yesterday at sunset,
and hiked around for an hour
just trying to see what the priorities were.

The grass was perfect.    There were no flying insects.        The
number of trees that
are dead is really heart-breaking.    There are dead limbs all over
the place.    You could
fill up an 18-wheeler with fire-wood.      The scenic creek that flows
through the park was so
bone dry, that it looked like a Jeep road.     This should make for
some interesting hiking for the
kids, as it is kind of like a tiny canyon and completely different
from the surrounding topography.
One could probably explore for 10 miles through this creekbed, but it
might be trespassing.
I didn't see any poison-ivy, or snakes, so the kids should be able to
runaround without too much
worry.

I have a PDF file of the event insurance that we purchased if anybody
would like to take a look
at it.    It would be very helpful to us if someone who understands
such things could go over it
and tell us what is lacking with the policy.

I was so excited about this date when the land-owner finally agreed to
it.     But unfortunately,
he agreed so late, that there wasn't enough time to send out
invitations.    Most people already
have Spring Break plans by now.

Anyone is welcome to arrive Friday night after 8 p.m., but there won't
be anything organized.     You will be
on your own to find someone to socialize with or to find your
camp-spot.     I will be trying to
decide whether to set-up the temporary swimming pool, or some other
chore.     I am going to
try to get off work Friday, but that is impossible to predict.
Some way I need to be the first on the
property if people show up on Friday and that is why it is so
important to contact me in advance.

There is a ton of stuff to do near the campground.    Just 6 miles
away is a pub called
the White Horse Tavern.     There is also an amusement park with
activities for kids, and a movie
theater, playing "Jack the Giant Slayer," and maybe "Oz the
Wonderful."    Brenham has a great restaurant
downtown called the Longhorn Saloon.     I will not  be doing any of
that this trip.  I hope to be relaxing in
my hammock and staring at the constellations in the sky by midnight.

This is an excellent event for the cavers whose bones no longer allow
them to go caving.

One thing I don't have, which would come in handy, is a good chain-saw
and a way to haul the
wood around camp.

We have extra camping gear in storage near the camp.      I plan to
sleep out under the stars.

NaturFest Association is NOT providing meat for the cookout.

I do ask that anyone coming from points west of Brenham, to stop at
Burton Sausage Company
and pick up your own meat for the grill.

     http://www.burtonsausage.com/

And those travelling from points east of Brenham to
stop at Chappel Hill Sausage Company:

    http://www.chsausage.com/

I can smell it all cooking now.

There is a vegetable farm near the entrance to Happy Hollow Road.
At the moment, he
only has leafy vegetables that you pick yourself.     So you could
make a delicious farm
fresh salad if you wanted.

For me personally, I wish NaturFest were a multi-day event.    But I
just can't take off work any
more than I already have.      I would stay at Camp Happy Hollow the
entire Spring Break if
I could afford to.

Some of you might be able to relate to the landowner's sentiment.
He will be glad when I am
off his property and he won't have to hear me mention the word
NaturFest for another year.   He
has been dealing with me for nearly 10 years now I think, so he
deserves some sort of an
award.   I am working on that too.     Last year, we only gave him a
Stanley coffee thermos, but he
deserves something nice.

David Locklear