texascavers Digest 28 Mar 2013 15:33:23 -0000 Issue 1729

Topics (messages 21512 through 21524):

Superhydrophobic Mud-Proof Coating
        21512 by: Mark Minton
        21514 by: Stefan Creaser
        21515 by: Lyndon Tiu
        21517 by: Aimee Beveridge
        21518 by: Pete Lindsley
        21519 by: Mark Minton
        21520 by: Amy Jasek
        21521 by: Nico Escamilla
        21524 by: Mark Minton

Re: new coating
        21513 by: David

hydrophobia
        21516 by: Mixon Bill

The new coating
        21522 by: David
        21523 by: Bill Bentley

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message --- Depending upon how well this would hold up in a cave, it might revolutionize cave clothes. Imagine a cave suit or pack that never gets wet or muddy. <http://www.ted.com/talks/mark_shaw_one_very_dry_demo.html>.

Mark

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Where would be the fun in that? Part of the attraction of caving is the wet and
muddy bit!

-Stefan

         Depending upon how well this would hold up in a cave, it might
revolutionize cave clothes.  Imagine a cave suit or pack that never gets wet or
muddy.  <http://www.ted.com/talks/mark_shaw_one_very_dry_demo.html>.

Mark

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are
medium.  Thank you.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
This means Bill's rocking people's packs won't work anymore as rocks will
slide off and out of the bags he rocks.

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Stefan Creaser <stefan.crea...@arm.com>wrote:

> Where would be the fun in that? Part of the attraction of caving is the
> wet and muddy bit!
>
> -Stefan

Lyndon Tiu

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
What does it do when it enters your bloodstream or groundwater?

Teflon, scotch guard.....they're quite literally, a part of every one of us.

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 26, 2013, at 4:43 PM, Mark Minton <mmin...@caver.net> wrote:

>        Depending upon how well this would hold up in a cave, it might
> revolutionize cave clothes.  Imagine a cave suit or pack that never gets wet
> or muddy.  <http://www.ted.com/talks/mark_shaw_one_very_dry_demo.html>.
>
> Mark
>
> Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
> Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Or on the other hand it will be easier to slip in that special rock!

 - Pete

On Mar 26, 2013, at 4:37 PM, Lyndon Tiu wrote:

This means Bill's rocking people's packs won't work anymore as rocks will slide
off and out of the bags he rocks.

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Stefan Creaser <stefan.crea...@arm.com> wrote:
Where would be the fun in that? Part of the attraction of caving is the wet and
muddy bit!

-Stefan

         Depending upon how well this would hold up in a cave, it might
revolutionize cave clothes.  Imagine a cave suit or pack that never gets wet or
muddy.  <http://www.ted.com/talks/mark_shaw_one_very_dry_demo.html>.

Mark

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are
medium.  Thank you.

Lyndon Tiu

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- My guess is that since it is essentially impervious to water, it will not enter the body or the groundwater to any significant extent. Bits could be sloughed off, but if not attached to anything my guess that they will be quickly flushed through the system. However without knowing the chemistry of the coating, it is not possible to give an accurate analysis.

Mark

At 07:14 PM 3/26/2013, Aimee Beveridge wrote:
What does it do when it enters your bloodstream or groundwater?

Teflon, scotch guard.....they're quite literally, a part of every one of us.

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 26, 2013, at 4:43 PM, Mark Minton <mmin...@caver.net> wrote:

> Depending upon how well this would hold up in a cave, it might revolutionize cave clothes. Imagine a cave suit or pack that never gets wet or muddy. <http://www.ted.com/talks/mark_shaw_one_very_dry_demo.html>.
>
> Mark

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Somebody should contact them - who knows they might send free samples

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 26, 2013, at 8:14 PM, Mark Minton <mmin...@caver.net> wrote:

>        My guess is that since it is essentially impervious to water, it will
> not enter the body or the groundwater to any significant extent.   Bits could
> be sloughed off, but if not attached to anything my guess that they will be
> quickly flushed through the system.  However without knowing the chemistry of
> the coating, it is not possible to give an accurate analysis.
>
> Mark
>
> At 07:14 PM 3/26/2013, Aimee Beveridge wrote:
>> What does it do when it enters your bloodstream or groundwater?
>>
>> Teflon, scotch guard.....they're quite literally, a part of every one of us.
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Mar 26, 2013, at 4:43 PM, Mark Minton <mmin...@caver.net> wrote:
>>
>> >        Depending upon how well this would hold up in a cave, it might
>> > revolutionize cave clothes.  Imagine a cave suit or pack that never gets
>> > wet or muddy.  <http://www.ted.com/talks/mark_shaw_one_very_dry_demo.html>.
>> >
>> > Mark
>
> Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
> Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I was looking at this product several days ago and its not cheap at all,
apparently its a two coat system. http://www.ultraeverdrystore.com/products/

El martes, 26 de marzo de 2013, Amy Jasek escribió:

> Somebody should contact them - who knows they might send free samples
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Mar 26, 2013, at 8:14 PM, Mark Minton <mmin...@caver.net <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> >        My guess is that since it is essentially impervious to water, it
> will not enter the body or the groundwater to any significant extent.
> Bits could be sloughed off, but if not attached to anything my guess that
> they will be quickly flushed through the system.  However without knowing
> the chemistry of the coating, it is not possible to give an accurate
> analysis.
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > At 07:14 PM 3/26/2013, Aimee Beveridge wrote:
> >> What does it do when it enters your bloodstream or groundwater?
> >>
> >> Teflon, scotch guard.....they're quite literally, a part of every one
> of us.
> >>
> >> Sent from my iPad

> revolutionize cave clothes.  Imagine a cave suit or pack that never gets
> wet or muddy.  <http://www.ted.com/talks/mark_shaw_one_very_dry_demo.html
> >.

> > Please reply to mmin...@caver.net <javascript:;>
> > Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org <javascript:;>

> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > texascavers-h...@texascavers.com<javascript:;>

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> texascavers-h...@texascavers.com<javascript:;>

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I couldn't find anything about breathability of the superhydrophobic coating. They say it works by trapping a layer of air on the surface of the material, so it might breathe. However it is supposed to be nanotechnology so the pores would obviously be small and it might not breathe easily, sort of like Gore-Tex.

Unfortunately for caving applications, it sounds like it might not hold up well. Several places they mention that abrasion reduces performance.

Mark

At 10:23 AM 3/27/2013, Mary Thiesse wrote:
Does it breathe?
Mary

At 11:01 AM 3/27/2013, Kenneth Ingham wrote:
According to the MSDS, The LD50 for rats is 5800 mg/kg (i.e., it takes
a lot to kill 50% of the rats) and it is not a hazard to fish (the
LC50 is also high).  It breaks down relatively rapidly in the
environment.  Just for reference, LD50 of water for rats is >90 ml/kg
(http://conspiracyfactory.blogspot.com/2007/05/everything-is-toxic.html)

I wonder what this means for its useful life in protecting things.
Presumably, you need to recoat regularly.

Kenneth

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I would like to nominate Mark's last post as one of the top 10 most
interesting post in the history of CaveTex.

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Cute, but none of those demonstrations involved trying to _rub_ mud onto a surface. If the trait really depends on a thin film of air trapped on the surface... -- Mixon
Don't be led astray into the paths of virtue.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: a...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On April 1st, a project will begin in Lechiguilla Cave to to use the new
supercalihydrophobic coating to stunt the growth of the infestation of
minerals seeping throughout the tiny orifices in the walls and ceiling of
the cave.

Cavers will be needed with low-pressure sprayers mounted on their backs  to
apply the coating.

One of these outcroppings, the dreaded rimstone dam, will first need to be
drained of any liquid contaminants and thoroughly dried before applying.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Smoking!