The three months Ann and I recently spent in the high west were an
interbugnum, one of those rare times in our lives when nothing was biting us.
We
arrived back home in Florida to discover that the entire inside of our house
had  turned blue and our bed was a pustulent pulsating blue green blob. I
stripped  off the sheets in horror and was enveloped in a choking cloud of
spores that  almost induced anaphylactic shock. I yanked the windows open and
ran out  onto the porch to gasp for air and get a fan.

Hours later I ventured back in to put on new sheets. We were exhausted from
 having slept on the ground for the previous three months so it was time
for  bed.

When I awoke I was still groggy from antihistamines, jet lag, and spore
induced bronchitis. As I staggered over to my stack of tee shirts (also blue
from mold) I felt something on my neck which I supposed to be a spider so I
brushed it off but when I looked down at the floor there was nothing there.
I  thought that was odd because at Weazelworld spiders and humans live in
perfect  harmony, they never bother me and I never bother them. But where was
the  spider?

About twenty minutes later while drinking my coffee I gradually became
aware of a terrible itch on the back of my neck. I had been scratching at  it
for several minutes before even being aware of what I was doing. I had clawed
 my skin raw where half a dozen angry red welts were rapidly rising on my
neck.  Dr. Ann confirmed what I already supposed, that I had been fed upon by
one or  more Triatoma sanguisugas.

They live in pairs and may even be monogamous. They had a very good meal so
 they have gone to tend their brood and haven’t been back. But they are
still out  there and they will be back.

Sleaze