texascavers Digest 22 Dec 2012 22:26:34 -0000 Issue 1684

Topics (messages 21167 through 21175):

Re: AMCS needs Java Script
        21167 by: Andy Edwards
        21168 by: Pete Lindsley

NSS Headquarters Remodeling Party!
        21169 by: NSS Announcements

San Antonio's Bob Cowell facing health problems
        21170 by: Linda Palit

travel in Mexico
        21171 by: Mixon Bill

Re: 16th ICS photo and art salons
        21172 by: George Veni

Cavetex hello!
        21173 by: vivbone.att.net

Pete Lindsley
        21174 by: Mary Thiesse
        21175 by: Pete Lindsley

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
I'm not a JavaScript expert, but I'd be willing to take a look!

-Andy

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Mixon Bill <bmixon...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Is there a Java Script guru out there who would be willing to look at
> something for the Association for Mexican Cave Studies? We have an archive
> catalog of some 4500 items (230 pages worth) that I'd like to put on the
> web, but the whole thing is rather useless without a good search
> capability, since it is not sorted in any useful way. A new UT Grotto
> member wrote Java Script code that will display only entries that match a
> specified combination of strings, and it does the right thing, but has
> serious performance issues. He then left for darkest Southeast Asia and has
> not been heard from since March. Anybody interested in looking into it?
>
> Other methods for accomplishing the same thing would be considered, but
> the advantage of Java Script is that it runs in the web browser, so the
> server doesn't need to do anything except deliver the file, which probably
> simplifies updating and maintenance. -- Bill Mixon
> ------------------------------**----------
> A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is fatal.
>
> ------------------------------**----------
> You may "reply" to the address this message
> came from, but for long-term use, save:
> Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
> AMCS: a...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> texascavers-help@texascavers.**com<texascavers-h...@texascavers.com>

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Bill and Andy, this is a common requirement on caver web sites. I have used
Atomz with good results on both fscsp.org and cavebooks.com
[http://www.atomz.com/].

However on some websites you have a /Private area just to keep out the Google
and other web crawlers because you don't want your name correlated with your
picture, etc. to keep the identity thieves at bay. Atomz claims to have the
ability to handle this but the first time I tried it didn't work. On sensitive
things like this (such as cave locations) you should always check it out "very
carefully" so that you don't get all the extra snoop code installed at the
highest level (admin) that so much of the "free fix my computer" apps seem to
do. (I got rid of Log-Me-In but I am STILL trying to get rid of MacKeeper which
is pinging the internet several times a second...)

If you come up with a good JS that will work behind password protected
directories please let me know.

 - Pete

On Dec 20, 2012, at 2:10 PM, Andy Edwards wrote:

[...]

--- Begin Message --- Here's your chance to come check out the new NSS headquarters and help the NSS turn this into a world class facility.

We are having a work weekend December 29th & 30th. This will be a demo party knocking down walls, ripping up carpet and removing ceilings where the new offices and book store will be. We'll also be working on cleaning the banquet hall ceiling tiles and putting up and cleaning the repaired stage curtains.

Blaine Grindle of Sewanee Mtn Grotto and the TAG Brewery has made us a 5 gallon keg of home brew and the NSS will be buying pizza for all the help. We've got indoor camping available Friday & Saturday night.

If you need more information, please contact me and feel free to post this on any other re-mailers. Let's show the NSS what the SERA cavers can do!!

Maureen Handler
NSS HQ Volunteer Coordinator

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Bob has had a rough week, getting a diagnosis of esophageal cancer, and
then facing multiple tests to determine the prognosis.  He will NOT get the
results of any tests until after the holidays.  He and the family welcome
your positive thoughts, prayers, and positive communication. No BooHoo's or
hysteria of course, but feel free to email him good wishes if you are so
inclined. His address is bcow...@satx.rr.com or home is 5806 Cactus Sun, SA
78244.

Cheers, and have wonderful holidays,
Linda

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Caver Mike Frazier of Colorado has driven twice from Austin to Oaxaca in the last two weeks. He reports no problems at the border or on the highways. He was hauling equipment for the 2013 J2 expedition. -- Mixon
A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is fatal.

You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: a...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Below is an update on next year's International Congress of Speleology
(ICS). I'm expecting it to be a great event and lots of others agree. US
registration for this ICS is higher than any ICS to date outside of the US.
Below is an update, especially that details for submitting entries to the
ICS photo and art salons are now available.

Please share this message with anyone you think may be interested.

Thanks,

George

***************************

George Veni, Ph.D.

Executive Director

National Cave and Karst Research Institute

400-1 Cascades Avenue

Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215  USA

Office: 575-887-5517

Mobile: 210-863-5919