texascavers Digest 5 Aug 2012 21:51:24 -0000 Issue 1603

Topics (messages 20469 through 20480):

Re: Texas Caver on the Karst Information Portal
        20469 by: George Veni

Sinkhole Conference: new abstract deadline and tragic sinkhole video
        20470 by: George Veni

Re: ethanol-free gas stations
        20471 by: Gill Edigar
        20477 by: Rick Corbell

Breaking WNS policy-related news from USFS Region 2
        20472 by: NSS Announcements

How to maintain and mark gear, by Petzl
        20473 by: Fofo

Re: Help - speed, tire size change
        20474 by: Chris Vreeland

Re: Waller Creek Flood Tunnel
        20475 by: Chris Vreeland

How to save your house from wildfire
        20476 by: Louise Power
        20478 by: Steve Keselik
        20479 by: Louise Power

Jacqui Thomas
        20480 by: Michael Cicherski

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Jerry,

Thanks for the compliments. The KIP and partnership that makes it is an
incredible and growing resource.

Yes, the gray scale with the early issues is disappointing. Even though our
partners at the University of South Florida were using the state-of-the-art
equipment to scan the issues, the faint mimeo printing was extremely difficult
to scan and preserve, not just for the text and images, but for a lot of the
hidden background attributes. Following lots of experimenting, adjusting, and
pulling of hair, they managed to preserve the information in gray scale,
sacrificing the color.

George

***************************

George Veni, Ph.D.

Executive Director

National Cave and Karst Research Institute

400-1 Cascades Avenue

Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215  USA

Office: 575-887-5517

Mobile: 210-863-5919

Fax: 575-887-5523

gv...@nckri.org

www.nckri.org

From: Mimi Jasek <mjca...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Help - speed, tire size change
To: "Diana Tomchick" <diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu>
Cc: "TexasCavers" <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Date: Wednesday, August 1, 2012, 12:01 AM
Ok, Diana, Nico, and Karl, thanks so
much. A lot of what you all said was close to some of what I
thought, but you defined it for me.

I will use your info to try to solve our problem, and for
now just slow down.

Lost 5+ mpg, which to me is a lot, for the cookie jar has no
funds for stock.

If others reply to help, it will be tomorrow before I get
back to mail. Last load of laundry calls to be put away,
then this tired lady must go to sleep before another work
day starts:)

Mimi

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 31, 2012, at 11:42 PM, Diana Tomchick <diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu >
wrote:

Mimi,

A simple back-of-the-envelope calculation would be to
divide the current tire circumference by the previous tire
circumference. This would give you an estimate of the
fractional difference the new, larger tire would travel for
each revolution of the tire. Using the numbers you supplied
gives a value of approximately 1.071. If you are used to
driving at 60 m.p.h., in theory the new tires would
actually be taking you at 60 x 1.071 = 64.26 m.p.h.

Of course this is a pretty simplistic estimate.

If you want to maximize your gas mileage, that's a more
complicated experiment that would need you to fill your gas
tank (be sure to always use the same type of gas--the higher
the percentage of ethanol, the lower your mile per gallon),
drive a set distance at different speeds and re-fill the
tank to see how much you used. Oh, and be sure that the
prevailing wind speed and direction is the same every time
you repeat the drive at the different speeds.

Diana

Diana R. Tomchick
Professor
Dept. of Biochemistry
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX 75390-8816
(214) 645-6383 (office)
(214) 418-5827 (cell)
diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu

On Jul 31, 2012, at 11:09 PM, "Mimi Jasek" <mjca...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Ok, I need help. I have a Ford Escape that we use
as our main caving vehicle due to great gas mileage. Due to
age, miles, and need for stronger sidewalls and better
traction, we traded our old tires for new. Love them, but
because bigger, noticed huge drop in gas mileage at same
speeds used to traveling, and I seem to be staying up with
or passing everyone!!

Old = P235/70R16 normal street tires

New = LT245/75R16 E Toyo OPAT OWL 120Q

Don't want a speeding ticket, and need my good mpg
back, or close to it. Can anyone tell me how much to
decrease my speed, and if the reduction is the same for all
speeds? If not the same, how much decrease at what
increments?

I believe my old tires were 28" diameter (spare is
that) with 7.33' circumference, and new are 30" with 7.85'
circumference.

I have to believe there are more than enough math
wiz/ tire savvy folks out there to get me some answers, but
if I am asking the impossible, tell me. I do have a
tachometer as well as a speedometer if that helps.

For us, mpg means a lot due to cost of gas, and
determines how many trips we make. I would really appreciate
any help anyone can give me.

Thanks,

Mimi Jasek

Sent from my iPhone

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I would think that it's primarily Austin Chalk in that part of town (Geologic map's not handy, but that's my memory) which is too soft hereabouts to support caves. It's doubtful they'd encounter any around there.

It seems the eastermost caves in the county are probably along the Shoal Creek line.

On Aug 2, 2012, at 1:02 AM, Justin Haynes wrote:

Is anyone keeping up with this tunnel from a geological perspective?
At 85 feet deep and ~20 feet in diameter, I wonder about the rock
there and if they are likely to hit any caves.  I also wonder if they
know whether or not they will hit any caves and what could possibly
happen if they do so.  Is there any typical features of caves that
exist that close to the Colorado River?  Is such a cave likely in this
area?

http://www.tunneltalk.com/Waller-Creek-Apr11-Austin-Waller-Creek-flood-tunnel.php
http://www.espeyconsultants.com/projects/waller_creek.php5

Thanks,

Justin

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I know that last year's fires caught most of you by surprise and some of you
lost most of your belongings or everything. I have worked for the Bureau of
Land Management for more than 30 years during which time I was an information
officer and information officer instructor for a multiagency group. I don't
have a lot of money to pass on to those of you who had losses, but I do have
information which can be almost as valuable. I would like to refer you to the
two sites below as a jumping off place for those of you who are rebuilding and
those who want to know what to do to help safeguard your property. There are
other links on these sites which can also be valuable.
http://www.firewise.org/

http://www.nifc.gov/prevEdu/prevEdu_main.html
I hope none of you ever have to go through this again.
Louise

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I guess a wildfire is different than a fire storm of burning volatile
gas.After sustaining a direct hit of over 6500 acres of burning state
park pines,yaupons and cedars and losing every thing. I know that
there was nothing but Gods right hand that could have stopped it.I've
helped rebuild at least one home that was in the middle of 100 acres
of cleared land.When the sky is on fire 75 to 100 feet in the air and
raining sparks and embers over ten miles away there isn't much you can
do but get out of the way.I would encourage every one to follow the
tips listed and also up your home owners insurance.The wound is still
fresh,but I did get to live in paradise for 28 years and am still
alive because it wasn't a surprise after the drought and 45 mile an
hour winds.Steve

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 6:33 PM, Louise Power <power_lou...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I know that last year's fires caught most of you by surprise and some of you
> lost most of your belongings or everything. I have worked for the Bureau of
> Land Management for more than 30 years during which time I was an
> information officer and information officer instructor for a multiagency
> group. I don't have a lot of money to pass on to those of you who had
> losses, but I do have information which can be almost as valuable. I would
> like to refer you to the two sites below as a jumping off place for those of
> you who are rebuilding and those who want to know what to do to help
> safeguard your property. There are other links on these sites which can also
> be valuable.
>
> http://www.firewise.org/
>

> http://www.nifc.gov/prevEdu/prevEdu_main.html
>

> I hope none of you ever have to go through this again.
>

> Louise

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Steve,
I am so sorry for your loss. Wildfires and what you call a fire storm differ
only in magnitude and location. In some areas, there is hardly any significant
dollar loss even with a bigger fire simply because it burns in an area with
fewer or no manmade structures. Eastern Nevada is a good example of this. At
the wildland/urban interface (WUI), however, it is a much different case. The
fires last year in Texas, this year in Colorado and many years ago on the
outskirts of Boise, ID, and Reno, NV, are prime examples of this type of fire.
As we move out into the countryside, this type of danger becomes ever more
present.
The sites I listed do not assure that you will never suffer loss, but in some
cases it will give you and the firefighters a fighting chance. Building
materials and landscaping are of prime importance in the WUI. Another important
thing is getting in and out of the property. In the WUI, your road or driveway
should be a loop with an entrance and an exit or should be wide enough for two
firetrucks to pass each other and brush should be cleared back from each side
to the recommended distance. In many cases, if the road is not big enough or
you have a bridge that is not strong enough to hold a firetruck, crews may pass
your property by.
One of my lasting memories of how important preparedness is was a TV news story
many years ago about a fire in a WUI near Los Angeles. It had hit a cul de sac
and run up to the top of a ridge. Only one house was left standing and
relatively undamaged. It was concrete dressed to look like adobe with a tile
roof, low-growing plants around it, ice plants on the downhill slope and a
swimming pool in the backyard which had been used in fighting the fire. The man
whose house it was stood there in tears looking at the devastation of his
neighbors' homes. An extreme form of survivor's guilt for doing the right
thing. It broke my heart.
I hope all of you will take care and live safely.
Louise
> Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 20:22:03 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Texascavers] How to save your house from wildfire
> From: skese...@gmail.com
> To: power_lou...@hotmail.com
> CC: texascavers@texascavers.com; jpme...@lavernia.net
>
> I guess a wildfire is different than a fire storm of burning volatile
> gas.After sustaining a direct hit of over 6500 acres of burning state
> park pines,yaupons and cedars and losing every thing. I know that
> there was nothing but Gods right hand that could have stopped it.I've
> helped rebuild at least one home that was in the middle of 100 acres
> of cleared land.When the sky is on fire 75 to 100 feet in the air and
> raining sparks and embers over ten miles away there isn't much you can
> do but get out of the way.I would encourage every one to follow the
> tips listed and also up your home owners insurance.The wound is still
> fresh,but I did get to live in paradise for 28 years and am still
> alive because it wasn't a surprise after the drought and 45 mile an
> hour winds.Steve
>
> On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 6:33 PM, Louise Power <power_lou...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I know that last year's fires caught most of you by surprise and some of you
> > lost most of your belongings or everything. I have worked for the Bureau of
> > Land Management for more than 30 years during which time I was an
> > information officer and information officer instructor for a multiagency
> > group. I don't have a lot of money to pass on to those of you who had
> > losses, but I do have information which can be almost as valuable. I would
> > like to refer you to the two sites below as a jumping off place for those of
> > you who are rebuilding and those who want to know what to do to help
> > safeguard your property. There are other links on these sites which can also
> > be valuable.
> >
> > http://www.firewise.org/
> >

> > http://www.nifc.gov/prevEdu/prevEdu_main.html
> >

> > I hope none of you ever have to go through this again.
> >

> > Louise

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Jacqui,