Just returned from a 10 day splendid driving trip from Austin to Zacatecas. We had a swift friendly crossing at Laredo, an easy drive on the toll road south. We spent a couple of days in Real de Catorce, hiking and hanging out with friends then drove to my 72 yr old companion's casita in the mts of Jalisco, between Monte Escobedo (controlled by invisible zetas) and Mexquitic (ditto guzmans) Rumour has it that occasionally the road between the two towns is contested for ownership; we saw no sign of that or any other trouble. Lots of great hiking in the mts and barrancas, visited both towns which were clean prosperous and friendly, drove all over backroad Mexico, then had two delightful days in Ciudad Zacatecas - a gorgeous vibrant musical traveler filled city. Mexico is alive and well and wonderful as ever.

Nancy