texascavers Digest 13 Aug 2012 11:00:12 -0000 Issue 1607

Topics (messages 20518 through 20538):

Re: camera questions
        20518 by: Pete Lindsley
        20519 by: Geary Schindel
        20520 by: Lyndon Tiu
        20521 by: Pete Lindsley
        20522 by: Pete Lindsley
        20523 by: George D. Nincehelser
        20524 by: Allan B. Cobb
        20525 by: Geary Schindel
        20526 by: George D. Nincehelser

Re: Emergency Disinfection of Drinking Water
        20527 by: Logan McNatt

travels in Mexico
        20528 by: Nancy Weaver
        20530 by: Nico Escamilla
        20531 by: Aimee Beveridge

Re: Sinopoda scurion
        20529 by: David Ochel
        20532 by: germanyj.aol.com
        20533 by: Louise Power

Louisiana Sinkhole - any interested divers?
        20534 by: germanyj.aol.com

Bats and smartphones: will 'bat walks' make us love them?
        20535 by: germanyj.aol.com

new depth of Krubera
        20536 by: Mixon Bill

Re: 1000-meter-deep caves
        20537 by: Logan McNatt

UT Grotto Meeting - Wed August 15
        20538 by: Gary Franklin

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message --- Sounds like it is now a caving camera (if it still works). Then either buy a better cave camera (like one of the new waterproof Pentax cameras, my 4-year old Pentax is a W-60), or upgrade your Canon to a newer one for probably cheaper than the repair, or both, and then insure the cameras under an itemized list attached to your home owners policy.

 - Pete

On Aug 10, 2012, at 12:07 PM, Geary Schindel wrote:

Folks,

I have (had) a Canon EOS Rebel XT digital (8 mg) camera. The camera bag rolled out of the car and fell on its head at convention and now the LCD screen doesn’t function (the one with all the camera data, not the screen which shows the picture). Lens works fine. So, is this thing worth repairing considering there is probably a repair cost to tell me how much more it will cost to repair or should I buy a new camera. If so, I was thinking of just buying the same or similar body. Seems they have upgraded it some and they now use SD cards which would be nice. Any thoughts on what I should do. It has been a pretty good camera up until now. I certainly don’t need any of the high end professional cameras but still like a SLR.

Geary

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Pete,

Thanks, have any recommendations on places to buy and not buy cameras on the
web.

[...]

What's the point of insuring the camera under one's homeowner's
policy? So I can get insurance to pay for the repairs next time it
falls out of the car and breaks?

--
Lyndon Tiu

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- No, it's for when someone breaks into your car and steals most of your camera gear just before leaving on a photo vacation (to caves) you have already paid for.

 - Pete

On Aug 10, 2012, at 12:31 PM, Lyndon Tiu wrote:

[...]

--- Begin Message --- Only one. [http://www.bhphotovideo.com/] Others may have better prices, but these guys have the stock and when your card is charged it means you will get your stuff in a few days. I have been buying from them for several decades. Almost all the others I have considered were liars, and probably crooks. I am sure there are many other good ones out there, but follow your friends recommendations.

 - Pete

On Aug 10, 2012, at 12:29 PM, Geary Schindel wrote:

Pete,

Thanks, have any recommendations on places to buy and not buy cameras on the web.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
This might be the part you're looking for on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-350D-Rebel-XT-LCD-W-Back-light-Buttons-Digital-Camera-Repair-Part-/320899055921?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item4ab7130131#ht_500wt_1180

The latest Rebel in the family is the 4ti.  You might want to look for
a bargain on the 2ti (which I think is going away) or the 3ti (which is
hanging around for a while).

These newer Rebels are 18MP, which you might find is decent step up.

George

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Geary Schindel <
gschin...@edwardsaquifer.org> wrote:

> Folks,****
>
> ** **
>
> I have (had) a Canon EOS Rebel XT digital (8 mg) camera.  The camera bag
> rolled out of the car and fell on its head at convention and now the LCD
> screen doesn’t function (the one with all the camera data, not the screen
> which shows the picture).  Lens works fine. So, is this thing worth
> repairing considering there is probably a repair cost to tell me how much
> more it will cost to repair or should I buy a new camera.  If so, I was
> thinking of just buying the same or similar body.  Seems they have upgraded
> it some and they now use SD cards which would be nice.  Any thoughts on
> what I should do.  It has been a pretty good camera up until now.  I
> certainly don’t need any of the high end professional cameras but still
> like a SLR.****
>
> ** **
>
> Geary****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
B&H is good  Amazon is good too.

Allan

Sent with my fat thumbs on my iPhone

On Aug 10, 2012, at 2:04 PM, Pete Lindsley <caverp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Only one. [http://www.bhphotovideo.com/] Others may have better prices, but
> these guys have the stock and when your card is charged it means you will get
> your stuff in a few days. I have been buying from them for several decades.
> Almost all the others I have considered were liars, and probably crooks. I am
> sure there are many other good ones out there, but follow your friends
> recommendations.
>
>  - Pete
>
> On Aug 10, 2012, at 12:29 PM, Geary Schindel wrote:
>
> Pete,
>
> Thanks, have any recommendations on places to buy and not buy cameras on the
> web.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
So, what are the advantages of a Canon T3 verses T3i.

It’s not clear from the descriptions.

Geary

<caverp...@gmail.com<mailto:caverp...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Only one. [http://www.bhphotovideo.com/] Others may have better prices, but
these guys have the stock and when your card is charged it means you will get
your stuff in a few days. I have been buying from them for several decades.
Almost all the others I have considered were liars, and probably crooks. I am
sure there are many other good ones out there, but follow your friends
recommendations.

 - Pete

On Aug 10, 2012, at 12:29 PM, Geary Schindel wrote:

Pete,

Thanks, have any recommendations on places to buy and not buy cameras on the
web.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3-vs-Canon-T3i

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Geary Schindel <
gschin...@edwardsaquifer.org> wrote:

> So, what are the advantages of a Canon T3 verses T3i.****
>
> ** **
>
> It’s not clear from the descriptions.****
>
> ** **
>
> Geary****
>
> ** **

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Mark, thanks, but hypothermia is not one of our big concerns in Texas. I've heard that tanning salons are being converted to hypothermic saloons. (no, that's not a typo)

On 8/10/2012 10:00 AM, Mark Minton wrote:
        This is also useful info for cavers, concerning hypothermia:
<http://www.wemsi.org/cold.html>.

Mark

At 12:39 PM 8/9/2012, germa...@aol.com wrote:
On some level, this could be cave(r)-related....

http://water.epa.gov/drink/emerprep/emergencydisinfection.cfm?072112

- julia

Please reply to mmin...@caver.net
Permanent email address is mmin...@illinoisalumni.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Just returned from a 10 day splendid driving trip from Austin to Zacatecas. We had a swift friendly crossing at Laredo, an easy drive on the toll road south. We spent a couple of days in Real de Catorce, hiking and hanging out with friends then drove to my 72 yr old companion's casita in the mts of Jalisco, between Monte Escobedo (controlled by invisible zetas) and Mexquitic (ditto guzmans) Rumour has it that occasionally the road between the two towns is contested for ownership; we saw no sign of that or any other trouble. Lots of great hiking in the mts and barrancas, visited both towns which were clean prosperous and friendly, drove all over backroad Mexico, then had two delightful days in Ciudad Zacatecas - a gorgeous vibrant musical traveler filled city. Mexico is alive and well and wonderful as ever.

Nancy

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Where's the like button?
El viernes, 10 de agosto de 2012, Nancy Weaver escribió:

> Just returned from a 10 day splendid driving trip from Austin to
> Zacatecas.  We had a swift friendly crossing at Laredo, an easy drive on
> the toll road south.  We spent a couple of days in Real de Catorce, hiking
> and hanging out with friends then drove to my 72 yr old companion's casita
> in the mts of Jalisco, between Monte Escobedo (controlled by invisible
> zetas) and Mexquitic (ditto guzmans)  Rumour has it that occasionally the
> road between the two towns is contested for ownership;  we saw no sign of
> that or any other trouble.  Lots of great hiking in the mts and barrancas,
> visited both towns which were clean prosperous and friendly, drove all over
> backroad Mexico, then had two delightful days in Ciudad  Zacatecas  - a
> gorgeous vibrant musical traveler filled city.  Mexico is alive and well
> and wonderful as ever.
>
> Nancy

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Wonderful report, Nancy!

On Aug 11, 2012, at 1:03 AM, Nico Escamilla <pitboun...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Where's the like button?
> El viernes, 10 de agosto de 2012, Nancy Weaver escribió:
> Just returned from a 10 day splendid driving trip from Austin to Zacatecas.
> We had a swift friendly crossing at Laredo, an easy drive on the toll road
> south.  We spent a couple of days in Real de Catorce, hiking and hanging out
> with friends then drove to my 72 yr old companion's casita in the mts of
> Jalisco, between Monte Escobedo (controlled by invisible zetas) and Mexquitic
> (ditto guzmans)  Rumour has it that occasionally the road between the two
> towns is contested for ownership;  we saw no sign of that or any other
> trouble.  Lots of great hiking in the mts and barrancas, visited both towns
> which were clean prosperous and friendly, drove all over backroad Mexico,
> then had two delightful days in Ciudad  Zacatecas  - a gorgeous vibrant
> musical traveler filled city.  Mexico is alive and well and wonderful as ever.
>
> Nancy

--- End Message ---
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 15:45:37 +0200
From: Rolf Siegenthaler <r...@speleo.ch>
To: Liste Suisse <speleo...@speleo.ch>

Hallo zusammen,

Es ist soweit, das Paper über die weltweit erste augenlose
Riesenkrabbenspinne, die in einer Höhle in Laos entdeckt wurde, ist
publiziert :-)

Abstract: http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2012/f/z03415p057f.pdf
Full article: http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2012/f/zt03415p057.pdf

Wir haben die Biopatenschaft für das Tierchen übernommen und sind
stolz, dass es unseren Namen trägt. Mehr dazu im Anhang...

Liebe Grüsse
Rolf

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Any reason is a good reason for that. Finding new species in a world where
species seem to be dying out with the speed of passenger pigeons seems to be a
really good reason to celebrate. Even if they do have to live underground to
survive.

To: li...@ochel.net; texascavers@texascavers.com
From: germa...@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:12:48 -0400
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Fwd: Sinopoda scurion

Does this mean we have to give a Prosit with Jaegermeister?? ;)

the first eyeless huntsman spider species... ;-) -David

Es ist soweit, das Paper über die weltweit erste augenlose
Riesenkrabbenspinne, die in einer Höhle in Laos entdeckt wurde, ist
publiziert :-)

Abstract: http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2012/f/z03415p057f.pdf
Full article: http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2012/f/zt03415p057.pdf

Wir haben die Biopatenschaft für das Tierchen übernommen und sind
stolz, dass es unseren Namen trägt. Mehr dazu im Anhang...

Liebe Grüsse
Rolf

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Members of the Louisiana National guard flew over a giant sinkhole only to
notice it has gotten much larger since last time they saw it. Officials have
ordered the company responsible for a salt cavern in the Bayou Corne area, to
drill a relief well to check things out. The local sheriff is concerned the
sinkhole is too close to a well containing 1.5 million barrels of highly
flammable liquid butane.

For complete video report:
http://www.aol.com/video/louisiana-bayou-sinkhole-keeps-growing/517439539/?ncid=webmail2

julia

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
According to a press item at

http://www.15min.lt/en/article/world/lithuanian-ukrainian-speleologist-team-reaches-bottom-of-world-s-deepest-cave-529-240702

the known depth of Krubera in Georgia (Republic of) has been increased to 2,197 meters. This represents an increase of 6 meters from the old figure at

http://www.caverbob.com/wdeep.htm

In the latter list, I see that the deepest caves in Mexico have dropped out of the top 10. There are now ninety-five 1000-meter-deep caves in the world. When I was in high school, there was one.

--Mixon
Forgive your enemies . . . after they are hanged.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

On 8/12/2012 10:40 AM, Mixon Bill wrote: There are now ninety-five
1000-meter-deep caves in the world. When I was in high school, there was one.

Bill,

Incontrovertible proof of the power of solution, for that many deep caves to
form in only about 50 years!

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Howdy Caver,

You are cordially invited to attend the next UT Grotto meeting - Wednesday
August 15th from 7:45PM- 9:00PM
University of Texas Campus in 2.48 Painter Hall (156 West 24th Street,
Austin TX 78712) http://www.utexas.edu/maps/main/buildings/pai.html

Vivian Loftin will present a continuation of the saga - Spirit of the
Jungle
Part 2 - A recap of a brief and personal history of 15 years of American
cave exploration in Sarawak Malaysia. A story of high adventure, heavy
politics, international intrigue, and sweet, sweet, virgin borehole, set in
the exquisite tropical rainforest of the remote island of Borneo from 1994
to 2009.  Come out for the fun and fellowship with Austin Texas Cavers.

For information on Underground Texas Grotto activities, please see
www.utgrotto.org
Officer contact, trip reports, event calendar, and new caver training links
to beginner trips or vertical rope training are available.

Before the meeting, take advantage of Sao Paulo  www.saopaulos.net  for
happy hour specials.  This area is the best place to park and meet folks
walking over to the meeting.  Then after the official meeting, we continue
with the decades long tradition to reconvene for burgers, beer, and tall
tales of caving at Posse East.  www.posse-east.com

The UT Grotto Program calendar is wide open and needs you, the caver with
photos and a story to share about your adventures, scientific research, or
something else really cool.  Contact me.

Sincerely,

Gary Franklin
UT Grotto Vice Chair & Program Organizer
512-585-6057
v...@utgrotto.org

Vivian Loftin<vivb...@att.net>

--- End Message ---