All:

Many years ago, a shop teacher at an Indianapolis High School knew I was a
caver.  He offered me 3 very large cans of Carbide. At one time  they used
the carbide for their welders.  The carbide was filled with  "dust" even
though the cans were not opened.  I obtained several gallon  size paint cans of
the fine grade carbide by screening the original cans.   The Central
Indiana Grotto used the carbide for several years.  The fine  grade reacted
faster, but otherwise worked fine.

The cans were very old even in the 1960's. I'm not sure how old  the
carbide was, as the school used tanks for some time.  The  school was an
arsenal
in the civil war era before being converted to a high  school.  The shop
building basement was used to keep horses.   And the administration building on
campus had very thick walls.

Bill Tozer

In a message dated 8/23/2012 8:47:50 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,