On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 10:24 PM, Chris Vreeland <cvreel...@austin.rr.com>wrote:

> I seem to recall Charlie Savvas saying he got over 400,000 miles out of
> his.

Nice.

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 11:45 PM, Bill Walden <wdwal...@windstream.net>wrote:

> I still have my 1978 International Scout Traveller with the 345 engine.
> Actually International came out with the Datsun (Nissan) diesel in 1979 and
> the turbo charged version in 1980, then they quit production of medium duty
> vehicles. I tried a 1979 diesel - it was rather gutless. That Nissan engine
> is now available as a 3.6L turbocharged straight 6. I'm tempted.

Bill, are you certain production with the Datsun/Nissan diesels began in
1979 and not 1976?  I'm asking because I occasionally search for these on
craigslist (or crazed list if I want to look in many locations).  Generally
I just search for "diesel scout", but given the wide range of quality in
craigslist postings, I'll also come back for all Scout IIs and for scouts
between 1976-1980 to catch any that may be miscategorized or incomplete..
I do'nt want to sort through more ads than I need to, but I also don't want
to miss the perfect vehicle if I leave it out of my search..

I looked for more information on http://binderplanet.com (for the
uninitiated, the IH Scouts were also affectionately called 'corn binders'
because of the company's history making industrial and farm equipment), but
I didn't find what Iwas looking for (yet).  The Diesel FAQ is here:
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1467

The Wikipedia article is not well referenced and contains lots of
information that may be accurate but not many references to back it up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Harvester_Scout#Engines

-Justin