texascavers Digest 1 Aug 2012 12:33:31 -0000 Issue 1601

Topics (messages 20438 through 20449):

Geological Society of America Convention: abstracts due in two weeks!
        20438 by: George Veni

KWI Carbon and Boundaries in Karst Symposium: website and registration open!
        20439 by: George Veni

Re: Final Revised TSA Members List
        20440 by: Carl Kunath

Help - speed, tire size change
        20441 by: Mimi Jasek
        20442 by: Carl Kunath
        20443 by: Nico Escamilla
        20444 by: Diana Tomchick
        20445 by: Diana Tomchick
        20447 by: Mimi Jasek
        20448 by: vivbone.att.net
        20449 by: philipmoss.juno.com

Speeding and Your Vehicle's Mileage
        20446 by: Diana Tomchick

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Dear Friends,

The next Geological Society of America Convention will be held this year in
Charlotte, North Carolina on 4-7 November. The call for abstracts has gone
out. The deadline for submissions is only two weeks away: 14 August. Six
sessions on caves and karst are offered this year, plus one specifically
requesting cave and karst papers within its broader topic. Given the
convention's location, four of the sessions are focused on eogenetic karst
settings. Several related sessions that would be excellent venues for karst
papers are also being offered on topics that include biology, archeology,
and hydrogeology. For details:
http://www.geosociety.org/meetings/2012/sessions/topical.asp.

The first three of the seven cave and karst sessions listed below are
sponsored or co-sponsored by the National Cave and Karst Research Institute:

T18. The Evolution of Karst Landscapes through Time in Response to Changing
Hydrologic, Geomorphic, and Tectonic Conditions
GSA Quaternary Geology and Geomorphology Division; GSA Hydrogeology
Division; National Cave and Karst Research Institute
Cory W. Blackeagle

How do the characteristics of karst terrain change in response to changes in
hydrology, geomorphology, and tectonism? How are these changes reflected in
the landscape and hydrogeology? Recent advances in methodology will also be
highlighted.

T92. Eogenetic Karst Aquifers: Water Resources and Water Quality
GSA Hydrogeology Division; GSA Environmental and Engineering Geology
Division; National Cave and Karst Research Institute
Lewis A. Land, Lee J. Florea

Eogenetic karst aquifers in coastal areas are particularly vulnerable to
natural and anthropogenic contamination. Papers are welcome on water
resource and water quality issues in such aquifers, as well as methods used
to characterize and remediate them.

T107. Comparisons of Flow and Chemistry in Eogenetic and Telogenetic Karst
Aquifers
GSA Hydrogeology Division; Karst Waters Institute; National Cave and Karst
Research Institute
Jason Gulley, Corinne Wong

This session seeks to understand how differences in porosity between
eogenetic (primary matrix porosity) and telogenetic (fractured matrix
porosity) karst systems influence the hydrological and geochemical processes
in karst aquifers, including cave formation.

T49. Geology in the National Forests and Grasslands-Stewardship, Education,
and Research
GSA Hydrogeology Division; GSA Geology and Society Division; USDA Forest
Service
Christopher P. Carlson, Michael A. Crump

This session will explore aspects of the geological sciences related to the
National Forests and Grasslands. Topics include paleontology, geomorphology,
hydrogeology, geoecology, natural-hazard mitigation, cave and karst
resources, and interpretive and recreational geology.

T95. Biscayne Aquifer
GSA Hydrogeology Division; GSA Geophysics Division
Michael C. Sukop, Dean Whitman, Virginia Walsh, Joseph D. Hughes, Jayantha
Obeysekera, Jefferson B. Giddings

We encourage presentations dealing with all aspects of the geology, physics,
chemistry, hydrogeology, geophysics, simulation, protection, and management
of the Biscayne Aquifer and its role in the water supply and ecology of
southeast Florida.

T155. The Heart of an Explorer: A Tribute to Ronald Greeley
GSA Planetary Geology Division
David A. Williams

Ronald Greeley, a leader in planetary geology, passed away in October 2011.
In tribute to Ron's memory, we are seeking presentations to discuss recent
results from the field or technique or missions, in which Ron participated.
[Ron pioneered the field of interplanetary cave research.]

T159. Surf's Up: New Insights on the Geology, Karst, and Paleontology of
Carbonate Systems of the Bahama Archipelago
GSA Hydrogeology Division; Eastern Section SEPM (Society for Sedimentary
Geology); Karst Waters Institute; Paleontological Society
H. Allen Curran, John E. Mylroie

Presentations demonstrating new dimensions of carbonates research within the
Bahama Archipelago (including Turks and Caicos) are encouraged. Emphasis on
shallow-marine sedimentology and emergent island geology, karst,
paleontology, geobiology, and geochemistry, with closely related topics will
be considered.

Feel free to distribute this message to anyone you think may be interested.

George

***************************

George Veni, Ph.D.

Executive Director

National Cave and Karst Research Institute

400-1 Cascades Avenue

Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215  USA

Office: 575-887-5517

Mobile: 210-863-5919

Fax: 575-887-5523

gv...@nckri.org

www.nckri.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Dear Friends,

Geology, biology, chemistry, hydrology, petroleum, climate change? If any of
these are your interest, I encourage you to attend the Karst Waters
Institute (KWI) Carbon and Boundaries in Karst Symposium on 7-11 January
2013. NCKRI is delighted to work with KWI and host this conference at NCKRI
Headquarters in Carlsbad, New Mexico, USA. For more details and to register,
go to www.nckri.org/kwi2013.

Please distribute this message to anyone you think may be interested.

I hope to see you there in January.

George

***************************

George Veni, Ph.D.

Executive Director

National Cave and Karst Research Institute

400-1 Cascades Avenue

Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215  USA

Office: 575-887-5517

Mobile: 210-863-5919

Fax: 575-887-5523

gv...@nckri.org

www.nckri.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Denise, thanks very much for your persistence and hard work on this membership
list and for your service to TSA in general.  We are fortunate to have you
working for us.

===Carl Kunath