I heard on an emergency basis from an associate organization (Great Old
Broads for Wilderness yesterday, and they are encouraging us to rally as
many people as we can to address the following issue: there is a heinous
piece of legislation (Senate Amendment No. 2175, sponsored by Senator
Barrasso) that we need to lobby Bingaman's office in force ASAP, as this
may get passed in the next week or two if it is not prevented by the
committee that Bingaman is the chairman of.  I am pasting a copy of the
letters for Bingaman and additional info below. Please read and express
yourself if there is any way you can. This is a major assault on the health
of public lands. I would like to see the Southwestern Region of the NSS
added to the list. I think this could be done by an EC decision to join in
with other earth conservation organizations to fight this intrusive step
backwards on federal public lands.
Linda Starr

Dear Senator:

We urge you to oppose Senate Amendment No. 2175, sponsored by Senator
Barrasso, as being considered for inclusion in S. 3240, the Agriculture
Reform, Food, and Jobs Act of 2012.  SA. 2175 would gut conservation
protections that are associated with the management of livestock grazing on
federal lands.  In addition, the amendment is an unnecessary and gross
overreach by proposing to fundamentally alter the National Environmental
Policy Act (NEPA). Furthermore, the attempt to legislate such changes by
using the Farm Bill as a vehicle is an inappropriate venue to entertain
such wholesale changes.

In addition to doubling the current term limit for a grazing permit by
extending these privileges to 20-years, our organizations are concerned
about the impacts of SA. 2175 by granting the Secretary of the Interior and
the Secretary of the Agriculture unchecked powers to exclude the management
of livestock grazing from environmental review. This is most evident in the
amendment’s provisions to limit environmental review as required by NEPA by
allowing the US Forest Service (USFS) and Bureau of Land Management (BLM)
to issue categorical exclusions (CEs) for the review of grazing permits.
 The use of CEs unnecessarily undermines the public’s right to participate
in the management of federal resources that belong to all citizens.  By
limiting the use of NEPA, the public will be denied opportunities to
positively contribute to management decisions by the BLM and the USFS.
 Historical use of categorical exclusions for the renewal of grazing
permits has been defined by mismanagement, which have imperiled critical
natural resources.

But these categorical exclusions would not be issued in a vacuum given that
SA. 2175 combines three sweeping new powers: 1) by extending grazing
privileges to 20-years; 2) allowing the BLM and the USFS to indefinitely
determine when and whether to review grazing permits at their sole
discretion; and 3) granting these agencies the authority to issue CEs to
avoid environmental analysis – SA. 2175 creates a perfect storm that would
virtually lock the public out of the process in regard to how federal
livestock grazing is managed on the nation’s public lands.  It could be
decades before anyone could ascertain the impacts of decisions related to
the renewal of individual grazing permits.  Two decades or more, with no
public discourse or an environmental review, is an excruciatingly longtime
in overseeing the management of these resources. Two decades is too long to
sit idly by, for the ecological health of the nation’s rangelands are
always in a constant state of flux.

We believe that the hundreds of millions of acres of federal rangelands, as
managed by the Bureau of Land Management and the US Forest Service
respectively, must be conducted in a transparent manner to ensure that
these critical resources remain conserved in a manner befitting their
extraordinary value. SA. 2175 will undermine the fundamental goal of
ensuring that the public can exercise its rights to directly contribute to
the conservation of the nation’s rangeland resources.

Please oppose the passage of Senate Amendment No. 2175.

Thank you for considering our views.