Sanguisuga, the name says it all. Every year about this time the evil
little bloodsucking bastards find their way into my home here at Weazelworld in

north Florida. They generally go in pairs, so if you find one keep looking.
 Strip the bed being careful to look inside pillow cases and between the
mattress  and box springs until you get to the bed frame then look under it.
They rarely  go far after having had a blood meal.

If you don’t live in a hermetically sealed box then Kukulcania spiders
(House tarantulas) are your best defense provided you don’t mind having huge
black spiders living all around your bed. I don’t cuz I know who my friends
are.

By the way, a male Kukulcania looks exactly like a giant brown recluse
spider; whereas the females are big black and fuzzy. The males wander so I
sometimes kill them for trespassing, but the monster females never stray from
their cobweb covered crevice. As a result I have had them living for years
right  next to my head while I sleep but they have never bothered me. On
several  occasions I have found shriveled kissing bug in their webs. Go girls!

Even sleeping in a tent isn’t entirely safe. In Belize and elsewhere in the
 tropics I have often found Reduviids under the tent while breaking camp in
the  morning. To the best of my knowledge I’ve never been bitten that way,
but it is  hard to believe they couldn’t easily pierce tent fabric.

The bottom line is that they are evil, and 99% of the so called “spider
bites” in the night are due to Reduviids, not spiders. Likewise, when someone
shows me a rotting wound supposedly caused by a spider bite it is almost
always  due to a staph infection but spiders always get the blame.

Sleaze

In a message dated 6/19/2012 1:06:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,