This from my SF friend:

...is a smart idea. You can type "evacuation" in Google & get some good ideas. (As you may recall I have a Red Cross backpack in my car & in my apartment to help me survive for 3 days if I experience an earthquake in SF.) I found this list in Wikipedia of items recommended for an evacuation bag. Some of the items you probably don't want but the list may help you get organized.

The suggested contents of a "bug-out" bag vary, but most of the following are usually included:

Enough food and water to last for 72 hours. This includes:
Water for washing, drinking and cooking. Canada recommends 2 litres per person per day for drinking plus an additional 2 litres per person per day for cleaning and hygiene.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug-out_bag#cite_note-14>[15] New Zealand recommends 3 litres per person per day for drinking<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug-out_bag#cite_note-15>[16] US recommends 1 gallon (3.78 litres) per person per day.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug-out_bag#cite_note-16>[17]
Non-perishable food<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug-out_bag#cite_note-17>[18]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_purification>water purification supplies
Cooking supplies<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug-out_bag#cite_note-18>[19]
A <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_aid_kit>first aid kit<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug-out_bag#cite_note-19>[20] Fire starting tool (e.g., matches, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrocerium>ferrocerium rod, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighter>lighter, etc.) A disaster plan including location of emergency centers, rallying points, possible evacuation routes etc. Professional emergency literature explaining what to do in various types of disaster, studied and understood before the actual disaster but kept for reference Maps and travel information<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug-out_bag#cite_note-20>[21] Standard camping equipment, including sanitation supplies<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug-out_bag#cite_note-21>[22] Weather appropriate clothing (e.g., <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poncho>poncho, headwear, gloves, etc.) Bedding items such as sleeping bags and blankets<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug-out_bag#cite_note-22>[23]
Enough medicine to last an extended evacuation period
Medical records
Pet, child, and elderly care needs<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug-out_bag#cite_note-23>[24] Battery or crank operated <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_radio>Radio.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug-out_bag#cite_note-24>[25] Lighting (battery or crank operated <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashlight>flashlight, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glow_stick>glow sticks).<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug-out_bag#cite_note-25>[26] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearms>Firearms and appropriate <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammunition>ammunition Cash and change, as electronic banking transactions may not be available during the initial period following an emergency or evacuation Positive Identification, such as drivers license, state I.D. card, or social security card
Fixed-blade and folding knife
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_Tape>Duct Tape and <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope>rope/<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracord>paracord
Plastic tarps for shelter and water collection
Slingshot, pellet gun, blowgun or other small game hunting equipment
Wire for binding and animal traps
The above list was developed (I think) in Australia. The following list was developed by the city of Torrence CA.

Evacuation Bags

(Bags should be easy to carry. Bags should have an ID tag and should be kept at home, work and in a vehicle. The following are recommended for an evacuation bag:

Water, food, and manual can opener
Flashlight
Radio, battery operated
Batteries
Whistle
Pocket knife
Personal medications and prescriptions
Extra keys to house and vehicle
Basic first aid kit
Walking shoes, warm clothes, a hat, and rain gear
Extra prescription eye glasses, hearing aid or other vital personal items
Toilet paper, plastic bags and other hygiene supplies
Dust mask
Paper, pens and tape for leaving messages
Cash
Copies of insurance and identification cards
Any special items for children and seniors or people with disabilities
The Red Cross website also has recommendations. The RC recommends that you notify friends & family where you are going & when they can expect to hear from you next. And, of course, listen to local advisories & evacuate when they recommend it....better safe than sorry.

I hope you don't ever have to evacuate but being prepared is the best thing.

     Eric

--

"San Francisco has only one drawback. 'Tis hard to leave." - Rudyard Kipling