Attention Cavers!

On 25-30 September we will be holding the first-ever gave gating
workshop in TEXAS!  It doesn't get any closer or more convenient than
this!  Although these workshops have been happening since 1997, previous
workshops have been held in such exotic locations as Washington, West
Virginia, Tennessee, Missouri, and Kentucky.  This will likely be the
only chance to have one in Texas for the next 10 years or so.  If you
are at all interested cave management, conservation, and protection (or
abandoned mine closure), you should make plans to attend.  The flyer is
at http://texascavers.com/misc/Gorman_gating_workshop_flyer.pdf.  I can
send you a workshop application in either a PDF or DOC format if you are
attending.  The cost is only $250 for the week, which includes lodging,
all meals, hands-on daytime instruction and evening lectures, and
information-packed handouts (book and CD).  If you cannot attend the
entire week, you may attend as a volunteer for a day or two, but will
not get the regular workshop benefits.  Please let me know if you will
be there as a student participant or volunteer, as I must coordinate
bunk space and meals.  We will be building a modern bat gate inside
Gorman Cave, just inside the side entrance.  The gate type will be a
Basic Gate with a Window, the first of it's kind in Texas.  If you don't
know what that is, or why we need to build it, then clearly you need
this workshop!

Contact Jim Kennedy (jkenn...@batcon.org) for more information or
registration.