I paid $7.50 matinee price...

I enjoyed it, but I was about to burst as my wife would not let me say a word to critique it at all...

Bill
----- Original Message ----- From: "John Lyles" <j...@losalamos.com>
To: <s...@caver.net>; <pajar...@snurkle.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2011 3:00 PM
Subject: [SWR] James Cameron's Sanctum in 3D

Saw it yesterday. I agree with Ray, its a lot better than I thought I might be, more reasonable than The Cave, Descent, and ....
Journey into Amazing Caves (grin).

Comments:
The "yahoo" part that offended me was the marine-style rappelling over the edge of the big pit, face first, just jumping out and screaming. And the callus disregard for the edge of that pit, one guy (the jerk, of course) standing there using his cellphone - in the jungle. Using multiple ropes side by side on such a descent was insane too. No tangles for Hollywood though. when they reached the bottom, a tean was just waiting right in the fall zone. This kind of stupidity could lead some irresponsible copy-cats to win Darwin awards in the future.

But the diving stuff was interesting, for this non-cave non-diver. I had to count the # of dead bodies in this flick, and i got tired of the "put me out of my misery" drownings.

The 3D effects were great for cave diving. Good idea, Mr. Cameron. You might win an award there. Also, one shot of rap'ping down a narrow pit in 3D was awesome. And those shots looking up the deluge of waterfalls, awesome.

Even for a squeeze pusher, the dives through the tight restriction had me sweating and grinding my teeth. Then the awesome passage discoveries, well, i felt like Frank was quite a man.

I felt he was modeled a little bit after caver Bill Stone. And the National Geographic sponsorship?
Nah, couldn't be...

Could Josh be modeled after Aaron Stockton, Mr. SWR chairman?

The booming passage they were following ("the biggest cave in the world") had my adrenaline pumping, nice work Frank. He needed to be given more respect for his drive to follow the cave - even if it was for survival.

The credits say it was filmed in Australia, but I thought some of the scenes were from Golandrinas, Yucatan, and even Devils' Sinkhole (Jacqui, take a look).

My overall opinion is thumbs up, go see it right away, its worth the $11 in 3D. This one will be in a lot of caver video collections at some point, in 2D.

jtml