For those cavers who are looking for a fun Memorial Day caving project, I can strongly recommend this one. Marvin is a great guy and Government Canyon is a wonderful state park. The regular camping spots for this park are probably all reserved for this weekend, but as a member of this project you will not have to worry about that, as you will have a separate primitive camping spot reserved for the project. The caves are not large, but there are many of them and it's a great way to learn to survey.

Be sure to take your mountain bike with you if you plan to go, as there are extensive (and very nice) bike trails in the park that you can use, too.

Diana

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Marvin & Lisa" <mlmil...@gvtc.com>
Date: May 22, 2010 11:54:27 PM CDT
To: <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Subject: [Texascavers] Government Canyon karst project

The Government Canyon karst project is happening next weekend – the 29th and 30th. You can pick your own dig or your own area to ridgewalk – and there are caves to explore and survey.

We will meet at 9:00 both mornings in the parking lot of the Volunteer/Research Station.

Camping is available. Contact me to set it up.

Directions to the Government Canyon Karst Project:

Find the intersection of U.S. 16 and Loop 1604 in northwest Bexar County (clearly shown on any state highway map). Drive 2 miles north on U.S. 16 to the third traffic light and turn left onto FM 1560 (there is a Shell station on the corner). Follow 1560 for 3 miles till you see the sign for GCSNA. Follow the arrow to the right and drive 2 more miles to the sharp left turn in the road. The gate to GCSNA is straight ahead. Enter at the gate and then take the first right. There is an unlocked gate that will need to be opened and then closed behind you. Continue to the Volunteer/Research Station, where we will meet.

Marvin Miller
(210) 415-5190

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Diana R. Tomchick
Associate Professor
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Department of Biochemistry
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214B
Dallas, TX 75390-8816, U.S.A.