From: Glen Goldsmith <glen.goldsm...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Re: archiving your cave data
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Date: Friday, December 18, 2009, 10:41 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-R#Expected_lifespan

In short, Mixon is right - you'll have to copy the contents of a CD-R/DVD-R
pretty often.  More so than 20 years though.  I've read an article, can't
remember where - that said a CD-R that could last 10 years was pretty good.
Organizing cd/dvd's by age seems like a good idea for this.  Who's got the time
for that though?

In the process of moving, I was able to get data off of CD-R's (single speed,
gold backed)  as late as 1996.  Silver backed single speed CD-RW's written
around this time were completely unreadable, causing me to lose some data from
that era.

Just don't be fooled that they'll last 20 or 30 years.  In my personal
experience, they don't.

Glen