When checking a cave near Montell and Camp Wood years ago.......we were
shown a pit that the landowner claimed was an old silver mine. I was
dubious......but we checked it. And it was obviously an excavated hole...and
not a cave.
In southern Oklahoma (north of here, in case you were
wondering)........there are legends of someone absconding with 20
³jackloads² of gold....I have heard two versions. In one version, its the
native Americans....and in another confederate troops. Anyway, at least one
or two versions claim the gold was hidden in a cave. Not quite the same as a
mine....but similar. Anyway....Windmill Cave near the Wichita Mountains has
been one of the suspected locations. We mapped the cave in the late 80s and
named a hidden room as the ³treasure² room....but the gold wasn¹t there when
we left the cave.