In honor of San Jacinto Day, archaeologist and GHG member Roger Moore was on
the cover of today's issue of the Houston Chronicle:

  _____  

Artifacts shed light on San Jacinto battle

By ALLAN TURNER 

HOUSTON CHRONICLE

April 20, 2009, 11:14PM

Nick de la Torre Houston Chronicle 

Archaeologist Roger Moore shows off a Mexican bayonet found near the
battleground.

Time has taken its toll on the Mexican bayonets, but their rust-pocked
remains still hint at a lust for blood. The balls Santa Anna's men loaded
into their muskets fared better. Still round, they glisten like sinister
grapes. A grenadier's badge gleams as proudly as it did when, 173 years ago
today, Texans struck the winning blow for freedom at San Jacinto. 

Today, these and more than 400 other artifacts - fruits of a recently
completed archaeological project near the famed battlefield - are helping
fill the gaps in the oft-told story of Sam Houston's routing of the Mexican
military.

Archaeologist Roger Moore believes the trove of artifacts gleaned from the
recent dig are the armaments discarded by 200-400 Mexican soldiers before
they surrendered to a handful of victorious Texans.

Funded through grants administered by Friends of the San Jacinto
Battleground, Moore led a brigade of 20 professional and amateur
archaeologists in scrutinizing a 50-acre site about 1.5 miles south of the
battlefield.

"There had been folklore, word that had filtered around from illegal
collectors that artifacts had been found on that property," Moore said.
"That's what piqued our interest."



Land choked by trees

The site, located on land owned by NRG Energy, was an archaeologist's
nightmare. Though open prairie at the time Santa Anna's troops beat a hasty
retreat, the land Moore faced was choked with an almost impenetrable tangle
of Chinese tallow, an invasive tree species.

That's when Moore called in the heavy archaeological artillery - a massive
Woodgator whose spinning toothed drum mowed down trash trees as easily as
cutting a lawn. After a few test clearings, in came a volunteer expert in
the use of metal detectors.

"With 50 acres," said Friends of the San Jacinto Battleground president Jan
DeVault, "the possibility of pinpointing anything was pretty dicey. The
first day out, we hit the jackpot."

With the first find, more test clearings were made. Moore and his colleagues
soon discerned a pattern. The artifacts seemed concentrated in a swath of
land roughly 130 yards long and 20 yards wide.

"I'm an archaeologist," Moore said. "I'm not a historian."

Still, he believes the pattern of his findings suggests the site may be the
point at which soldiers under the command of Santa Anna stalwart Juan
Almonte gave up.

As Moore re-creates the scene, Almonte's men - surprised like other Mexican
troops by Houston's midafternoon raid - retreated through boggy ground and
prairie until they reached a gully shielded by trees. In that brief respite,
the Mexican commander organized his troops into formation, then ordered them
to discard their weapons before marching forward under a white flag.

The action was an almost anticlimactic ending to an afternoon - the battle
lasted less than 20 minutes - that reversed Texan disasters at San Antonio
and Goliad. When the battle smoke cleared, 630 Mexicans were dead and 730
captured. On the Texan side, nine were dead and 30 wounded.

Moore said artifacts retrieved from the site eventually will be exhibited
through the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

New interest

DeVault said the project points the way to more exploration.

"It just blows you away," she said. "I think people became very lax. They
just assumed that the battlefield was picked over by souvenir hunters. Now
we have tools that are very sophisticated - magnetometers,
ground-penetrating radar, a generation of metal detectors that can penetrate
far below the surface.

"The first systematic archaeological survey of San Jacinto began in 2002 and
2003," DeVault said. "We believe we have just scratched the surface."

[email protected]

 

 

Reply via email to