-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        [Texascavers] TSA Vertical Training Workshop Sept 29 - Oct 1.
Date:   Thu, 7 Sep 2006 09:36:22 -0500
From:   Geary Schindel <gschin...@edwardsaquifer.org>
To:     <Texascavers@texascavers.com>
CC:     <gschin...@mindspring.com>

Folks,

About two months ago, I had announced that TSA was interested in having
a vertical training session this fall and I�ve been actively trying to
secure a facility.  The Boy Scouts have come through and offered their
excellent facilities for the weekend of September 29 (Friday evening) to
October 1 (Sunday afternoon).  The training will be held at Bear Creek
Scout Reservation located near Hunt, Texas.  I�m in the process of
working out the details but I wanted to make the announcement so people
can get it on their calendars.  Bear Creek is about 25 minutes west of
Kerrville.

The site has a number of great rappelling sites including 3 drops of 30
to 50 feet and 2 drops of about 120 feet.

Basic Vertical Course Outline

We will be following the NSS Vertical Section Training Guidelines for
the basic vertical training.  This will include topics such as selection
of appropriate gear, setting up anchors, rappel configurations,
rappelling and ascending.

Intermediate Vertical Course Outline

Depending upon the interest, we may also have an intermediate training
program to include rebelays, advanced anchors, haul systems, pickoffs,
self rescue and advanced problem solving.  The intermediate training
will require that you have either completed the basic vertical course or
have extensive vertical experience and that you have permission of the
instructors.  The intermediate program will be limited to 10 - 15
participants and designed around the interests of the participants.

Who should attend?

Anyone who is either interested in or is actively vertically caving from
beginners to the advanced.  This is an excellent chance to learn from
some of the best vertical cavers in the area, pick up new techniques and
brush up on your skill sets.

Equipment

If you have your own equipment, please feel free to bring it.  All
equipment will be inspected by an instructor before use.  Each student
will be required to bring 25 feet of 1-inch tubular climbing webbing
with a minimum of 3,800 pound breaking strength (available from your
local climbing and backpacking store or by mail order), two locking
carabineers, leather gloves, caving or climbing helmet with chin strap,
and sturdy boots.

Costs

Cost of the program materials will be around $20.  �m checking on
facility fees but they should be pretty nominal.  We will have a low
instructor to student ratio; however, you must sign up before hand so I
will know how many manuals I will need to buy.  Also, we will limit the
total number of folks so if you sign up, make sure that you show up as
you�ll be taking someone else�s spot.  Either way, if you sign up, you
will be expected to pay for the materials whether you make it or not.

When responding to this message, please respond to my EarthLink account
at gschin...@mindspring.com <mailto:gschin...@mindspring.com> and put
vertical training in the subject area so that when I scan my spam
blocker, I�ll know you�re not trying to get me to invest in some
Nigerian bank deal.

Also, no complaints that nobody ever asks you to do anything cave
related, here is your chance folks.

Geary Schindel