Sometime in 1993, I think, I convinced some Aggie Cavers  to dig in the
cave.  We called it Project R.A.C.K.
(Restoration of Austin Caverns and Karst )

We rented a Uhaul trailer and tied a bucket and pulley to the tree next to
the entrance.

We filled up the trailer with dirt.

They all thought I was crazy, but I was going on the best information I had
at the time.

They mutined on me.  I returned solo twice I think after several failed
bids to keep the project alive.  I realized it was futile, and gave up.

I did make a faithful effort to invite cavers I knew to come.  This was
before I had email, I think, so I remember doing lots of cold calling.

I only crawled a few feet into the cave.  The ground around the culvert
under the street was a void and it appeared to be on the verge of
collapsing.

At least one other storm sewer nearby drain into the cave, as I got an
ice-chest of cold water dumped on me by a resident while digging.

David Locklear
dlocklea...@gmail.com