I received the following question on my recent UIS posting:

“I am interested in this event but am concerned my lack of foreign language
knowledge would be a big detriment. What is your feeling on this as I have
never been to any international events.”

It’s a good question and I thought worth replying to the lists in case others
find it helpful for this and other international caving events. In short,
English has become the international language. If a conference is described as
“international” then you can be almost 100% certain that the official language
of the meeting will be in English, or English plus the language of the host
country. A quick check with the conference website or organizers will confirm
this if you want absolute 100% certainty. As a result, most international
participants will speak English to some degree. The effort to communicate with
these cavers, even those whose English is not very good, is more than equally
rewarded by your learning new perspectives, techniques, information, and
stories you’ll share.

Also, as you travel you’ll find nearly all airports, plus most major train
stations, restaurants, etc., offer information in English too.

George

On Dec 8, 2014, at 6:11 PM, George Veni