I can see the upside to security for the cave—I’m sure many of us wish there
had been security cameras in Caverns of Sonora prior to the butterfly vandalism
incident—but I hope they decide to ban selfie sticks, in the name of cave and
formation preservation.

Diana

Diana R. Tomchick
Professor
Departments of Biophysics and Biochemistry
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214A
Dallas, TX 75390-8816
diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu
(214) 645-6383 (phone)
(214) 645-6353 (fax)

> On Apr 30, 2015, at 12:35 AM, Jerry via Texascavers
> <texascavers@texascavers.com> wrote:
>
> Ruby Falls installs wireless Internet for cave visitors
> Don't bump into that stalagmite while you're Facebooking.
> Ruby Falls is installing Wi-Fi so visitors to the cave can stay connected on
> their underground trip to the waterfall.
> At 1,120 feet underneath Lookout Mountain, the attraction says it's the
> deepest Internet access available inside a commercial cave anywhere, and a
> first for Chattanooga.
> Visitors will be able to share their memories with loved ones in real-time.
> Staff will be able to use the wireless Internet to enhance safety in the
> cave, with 13 security cameras and 10 phones now installed, Ruby Falls said
> in a news release.
> The attraction says it partnered with EPB and InfoSystems to make the
> installation possible without detracting from the natural elements of the
> cave.
>
> http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2015/apr/29/ruby-falls-installs-wireless-internet-cave-visitors/301436/

UT Southwestern

Medical Center