From: Lynda & James Sánchez
<diamond...@pvtnetworks.net<mailto:diamond...@pvtnetworks.net>>
Subject: [SWR] Fw: [PLW Update] FW: Caving, hiking and cycling
Date: June 25, 2015 at 9:45:01 AM CDT
To: SWR Cavers <s...@caver.net<mailto:s...@caver.net>>

http://www.glasgowdailytimes.com/news/caving-hiking-and-cycling/article_69f99c02-156b-11e5-b09a-070ef0c277b2.html

Glasgow (KY) Daily Times
Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Caving, hiking and cycling
BY GINA KINSLOW Glasgow Daily Times

ycling and caving enthusiasts will come together on Sunday when they take part
in Mammothon — a triathlon involving a tour through Mammoth Cave, as well as a
hike and then a bike ride through Mammoth Cave National Park.

This is the first time such an event has taken place at the national park. It
is part of the observance of the Longest Day of Play, which occurs on the
longest day of the year and is being hosted by the Friends of Mammoth Cave
National Park, Forever Resorts/Mammoth Cave Hotel and the national park.

Vickie Carson, public information officer for the national park, said the event
is actually a trial run for the national park’s 100th anniversary celebration
in 2016.

“This year we thought we would do it on a smaller scale and see how it all
worked out, and then plan for something a little bit more involved next year,”
she said.

As far as national park officials know, Mammothon is a one-of-a-kind event,
with no others like it ever being held, she said.

Mammothon will begin at 8:15 a.m. in the parking lot of Mammoth Cave Hotel.

From the parking lot, a park ranger will lead participants on a 2-mile cave
walk.

“Once we come out of the cave, folks are on their own,” Carson said.

The second portion of the event involves a 2-mile hike along the River Styx
Spring, Echo River Spring, Sinkhole trails and back to the hotel parking lot
where they will retrieve their bikes and ride along the Mammoth Cave Railroad
Bike and Hike Trail.

Mammothon is designed to showcase some of the aspects of the national park, and
is not a triathlon in the true sense of the word, said Helen Siewers, executive
director of the Friends of Mammoth Cave National Park.

Participants are urged to use their own judgement when deciding how much to
exert themselves. People will be on their own during the hiking and biking
portions of the event, and can choose how far they want to go, but that is not
the case with the cave walk, she said.

“Anyone who begins the cave hike will have to be able to finish the cave hike,
because we are all going in and we’re all coming out again,” Siewers said.

The Mammothon is limited to 120 participants. As of Wednesday morning, 89 spots
remained.

To register for the event online, go to
www.event-brite.com<http://cloud.siteencore.com/siteencore_helper.html#rotftwetu=aHR0cCUzQS8vd3d3Lmdvb2dsZS5jb20vdXJsJTNGc2ElM0R0JTI2cmN0JTNEaiUyNnElM0QlMjZlc3JjJTNEcyUyNnNvdXJjZSUzRG5ld3NzZWFyY2glMjZjZCUzRDE3JTI2dmVkJTNEMENDMFFxUUlvQURBR09BbyUyNnVybCUzRGh0dHAlMjUzQSUyNTJGJTI1MkZ3d3cuZ2xhc2dvd2RhaWx5dGltZXMuY29tJTI1MkZuZXdzJ>.
 More information is available at www.
facebook.com/MammothFriends<http://cloud.siteencore.com/siteencore_helper.html#rotftwetu=aHR0cCUzQS8vd3d3Lmdvb2dsZS5jb20vdXJsJTNGc2ElM0R0JTI2cmN0JTNEaiUyNnElM0QlMjZlc3JjJTNEcyUyNnNvdXJjZSUzRG5ld3NzZWFyY2glMjZjZCUzRDE3JTI2dmVkJTNEMENDMFFxUUlvQURBR09BbyUyNnVybCUzRGh0dHAlMjUzQSUyNTJGJTI1MkZ3d3cuZ2xhc2dvd2RhaWx5dGltZXMuY29tJTI1MkZuZXdzJ>,
 or by calling 270-758-2152.

Other events occurring on Sunday are: 5:30 a.m. – birding walk; 1 p.m. — Sand
Cave Almanac; 3:45 p.m. — Heritage Walk, meeting at the visitor center; 7:30
p.m. — campfire program at the amphitheater; and 9 p.m. — Western Kentucky
University Astronomy Club will present program on the night sky in the visitor
center’s bus loop.

Cave tour fees apply; other events listed above are free.

View all the postings by visiting our homepage at:

http://groups.google.com/group/parklandsupdate?hl=en

To join the Park Land Watch group email Rick Smith:
rsmith0...@comcast.net<mailto:rsmith0...@comcast.net> This will allow you to
post your messages to the PLW Group.

Membership is free

---
"parklandwatch" group.
parklandsupdate+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<mailto:parklandsupdate+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
This list is provided free as a courtesy of CAVERNET.
Remember when you are replying to a message, you are replying to ALL on this
list. This a default setting. If you want to reply to the individual sender
then click reply, go delete the name out of the To: field and insert who you
want to reply to.  Of course, you have to know the email address of the person
you are wanting to reply to.

UT Southwestern

Medical Center

The future of medicine, today.