Please post this for me.   We are traveling and do not have a Real Coputer
Dwight

Sent from Samsung tablet

-------- Original message --------
From David Riskind <david.risk...@tpwd.texas.gov>
Date: 09/11/2015  10:07 AM  (GMT-05:00)
To "'dirt...@comcast.net'" <dirt...@comcast.net>
Subject FW: NPR.org - South African Cave Yields Strange Bones Of Early
Human-Like Species

For further reading

They maintained a blog during the initial cave investigations and excavations
(funded by National Geographic, and this may well be the last great project
ever funded by that group).
http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/blog/rising-star-expedition/?order=asc

Feel free to read the fully open access, peer-reviewed report by the PI ( a
respected paleoanthropologist with decades of experience) and his team
(including several other respected paleoanths) here:
http://elifesciences.org/content/4/e09560

Here’s the fully open access, peer-reviewed report on the geological and
taphonomic setting, which helps to possibly answer some of your questions about
cave setting, as well as possibility of rodents and other critters:
http://elifesciences.org/content/4/e09561

From what I’ve read in the reports and various blog summaries and interviews,
they suggest intentional deposition (as opposed to ritual burial) after having
eliminated any other reasonable explanation, based on the geology, taphonomy,
analysis of the skeletal remains, etc. Here’s one such summary by a
bioarchaeologist and blogger, who approached it critically and skeptically:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kristinakillgrove/2015/09/10/did-homo-naledi-bury-its-dead-mummified-chimp-babies-might-help-us-find-an-answer/