In December of 1985, I got to tag along with 4 experienced cavers in a
spectacular karstic area about 1/4 mile or less upstream from the Sumidero
Boqueron ( which we could allegedly hear roaring from our camp along the
river bank.   ( The nearest village was Comalapa, Veracruz about an hour
hike away, although there were about 50 people speaking Nahautl living in
thatched huts near an upstream cave from our camp. The 4x4 road seemed to
end at the huts and we had a 1/4 kilometer hike down to our camp from
there.  The nearest town was Zongolica, Veracruz which was I do not
believed sold gasoline at that time. )

3 of the cavers planned to hike from our camp around a huge hill to the
presumed resurgence of the sumidero and enter the unknown with 2 inflatable
rafts.   My task was to provide surface support.

About 1/2 way along the hike to the resurgence, we came up on 2 farmers
chopping and burning a crop.  The Mexican caver leading the group ( Jorge
Ramirez of Mexico City ) asked them about caves.   And they replied
something to the effect of, "what do you think we are standing in?"

To our surprise less than 15 feet from a well travelled goat trail was a 5
meter diameter pit that looked climbable to about 7 meter depth without
rope that appeared to have going horizontal passage.

We were so pressed for time, and just continued hiking.   I volunteered to
check it out later and Jorge and the other caver ( El Pollo - Jose Luis
Soberanes, also of Mexico City ) led me into the unknown cave.

I was super impressed with the cave having never been in a virgin cave or a
cave with that much potential.

The others returned the next day and sketched the cave which certainly
somehow tied into the system there.   I was not experienced enough at the
time to understand tropical  river caving all.   But I got spoiled by that
early experience.    This was a biology trip.

I learned about 50% of what I  know about caving on that one week long
trip, and will be forever grateful to Steve and Lori Robertson of
Albuquerque, N.M., and Alejandro " Alex" Villagomez, R.I.P ( Alex was not
there, but led us all on a cave trip in a world-class cave near
Ixmiquilpan, Hidalgo on the last portion of our road-trip across Mexico ).

David Locklear
( at that time, an Aggie Caver )