From: Logan McNatt via Texascavers <texascavers@texascavers.com>
To: Cave Texas <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Sent: Thu, May 12, 2016 10:31 pm
Subject: [Texascavers] Texas NSS Members--some statistics

    The NSS Members Manual used to include a statistical summary of NSS
members by various categories. I was curious about Texas so    contacted the
Manual Editor Kelly Smallwood, who referred me to Bob    Hoke. Bob has been
compiling data for the NSS Members Manuals for    years, and promptly provided
me with statistics regarding current    NSS members as of Feb 16, 2016. I've
selected some, with my    comments, that I think will be of interest to Texas
cavers and other    list subscribers.
    Thanks Bob!
    Logan McNatt  lmcn...@austin.rr.com
    NSS 11274

    Current NSS Member Data as of Feb 16, 2016

    TOTAL NSS MEMBERS    9,256  (including 109 in Canada and 203 in    other
countries)

    STATES WITH THE MOST NSS MEMBERS:  Texas ranks 7th
    Georgia 602  Virginia 598  Tennessee 582  California 559  Florida    532
Pennsylvania 467  Texas 419
    Alabama 414  Ohio 386  Colorado 367  Indiana 331  Missouri 285

    ZIP CODES WITH THE MOST NSS MEMBERS: the 787xx zip code in Austin,    Texas
ranks 8th, with 85
    Georgia has 3 zip codes in the top 10

    LOWEST ACTIVE NSS NUMBERS (below 10K):
    [Cavers with #s from 1 to 9,999  joined from 1939 to 1967, and were    the
first to light the way with for those who followed.]
    #247 Virginia    #262 Iowa    #373 Alabama    #509 Texas       #518
California    #568 Virginia    #645 Pennsylvania
    #742 Maryland    #812 Tennessee   #835 Missouri    #882    Pennsylvania
#913 Idaho

    Texas currently has one 3-digit (#509, Roy Pietsch, Dallas) and 39
4-digit members.
    There are others who have not maintained their membership.
    See attached list. If it doesn't make the journey, I'll resend.