Obviously another Bill Bentley....No relation either...
Bill Bentley ca...@caver.net

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: Frank Binney via Texascavers <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Date: 6/29/16  8:00 PM  (GMT-06:00)
To: Texas Cavers <Texascavers@texascavers.com>
Subject: [Texascavers] Big Boy Medlin in Austin Sun

This is "caver culture” related:Back in the day, Austin cavers used to
congregate for lunch at the “caver table” in the Chuckwagon snack bar in the UT
Student Union. We were occasionally joined by some of Austin’s rising
counterculture literati, including a very funny and talented Vietnam War vet
named Big Boy Medlin. Big  would occasionally attend parties at the Kirkwood
Kaver house and other 1970s caver hangouts along with his fellow contributors
to our beloved bi-weekly hippie newspaper The Austin Sun, including Jeff
Nightbyrd, Michael Eakin, Bill Bentley and David Moriarty.Big and many other
Austin writers and film people of that period eventually emigrated to LA, where
he helped launch  LA Weekly, co-wrote the screenplay for the movie “Roadie”,
and became Head Writer at E! Entertainment Television.For today’s younger
cavers, who missed the opportunity to enjoy Big’s writing in the long-gone
print version of the Austin Sun, the publication has been re-launched this
month as a website featuring contemporary contributions by Big, Bill Bentley,
and Michael Ventura.Here’s the link:http://www.austinsun.us
As we used to say about new experiences to young caver wannabes at Kirkwood
Kaver parties: “Try it! You’ll like it!”
—Frank Binney fr...@frankbinney.com