Jerry is right.
San Pedro is the Devils River.
Painted Caves is in Castle Canyon (Virginia Creek), the next canyon west over
the hill from the Devils. The 1849 road from San Antonio used to pass just in
front of the caves, then Hwy 90, and now it’s all flooded. I excavated there in
the late 1950s, and Tom Meador published a great article on the history of the
site in the Texas Caver probably in the 60s. Site 48VV7, the Castle Canyon
Site, shown on all the early historic maps as Painted Caves.

John Greer