As most of you know by now, 6counties in north Texas were recently confirmed
positive for the presence of Pd(Pseudogymnoascus destructans), the fungus that
is the base cause of WNS. 30states, including the recent inclusion of Minnesota
and Nebraska, are nowconfirmed positive for the presence of WNS in the bat
population, and 3additional states, including Texas, have now tested positive
for the presenceof the fungus on bats or in the near environment. The reports
are certainlydisheartening, but not unexpected, as WNS has been progressively
spreadingwestward since its first detection in 2006. There was some hope that
theperceived rate of progression was slowing, and that it might not make a
jumpinto the western portion of the US. This hope faded when a bat was
confirmedpositive for WNS in Washington State early last year, and the recent
detectionof the fungus in northern Texas certainly does not bode well for New
Mexico.

The detectionof Pd in Texas is also of great concern as north Texas represents
a regionwhere bat species that have widely different ranges overlap, presenting
thepossibility that WNS could rapidly migrate to areas to the west and
south.There's still hope for the western bats as it's not known if the species
thatinhabit these regions will be as susceptible to Pd as in the eastern US,
andmany bat species in Texas do not hibernate during the colder, winter
monthswhen conditions for the spread of WNS are increased.

Regardless of the possible future impact of Pd on the westernbat population,
WNS has reared its ugly head in Texas, and by proximity, to NewMexico. Scurry
County, one of the counties recently confirmed for Pd, is only125 miles from
the New Mexico border, and approximately 200 miles from thenearest significant
bat cave in New Mexico.

Things won't be the same from now on, and we in the cavingcommunity will need
to make some adjustments if we have not already done so. Istrongly encourage
grottos to review the standard WNS decon protocols withtheir membership, and to
strictly adhere to them. Folks in Texas have toreconcile with the fact that
they are now living and caving in a state withconfirmed Pd, and that they
should not bring their caving gear to other statesthat have no confirmed Pd or
WNS (that means this year's NSS Convention). Folksin New Mexico that cave in
Texas (or nearly anywhere back east for thatmatter), need to purchase a set of
caving gear to be used exclusively in thosestates or areas with confirmed Pd or
WNS if they have not done so already.

This is notjust hyper-sensitive political correctness. Federal protocols for
caving onBLM, NFS, and NPS lands stipulate these decon procedures and gear
restrictionswhether we agree with them or not. Non-compliance can result in
fines,penalties, and/or cave closures. Over 85% of the caves in New Mexico
arelocated on federally managed lands. Cavers in New Mexico have been
partneringwith various federal agencies for decades addressing the cave
conservation,exploration, and management issues in the state, and have an
excellent workingrelationship at the moment. Given the increased sensitivity
and scrutiny thatthe recent Pd announcement in Texas will undoubtedly bring to
caving in Texas andNew Mexico, let’s all agree that WNS is on our doorstep, and
that we should alldo our part to deal with the issue responsibly.

JerryAtkinson
Chairman –Southwest Region of the NSS
Past Chairman– Texas Speleological Association