Carol,

Thank you very much for that tip.   I was going to take the headlamp back
for a refund.   I don't know how I overlooked that slider focus adjustment.

I will test the light pattern again tonight, but a brief test in daylight,
the light pattern still appeared to be annoying except in the flood
position.

It looks like it is best to put some sealant ( under the sliding mechanism
) and just push it all the way in permanently.

On a lighter note,

If I do not take it back for a refund, and if I make it to Rio Rancho, then
it will get sold at the silent auction for about $ 10.

My only option at the moment is to drive non-stop to the Howdy Party and
turn around and drive back to Houston on Tuesday or Wednesday.   Does that
sound familiar ??

David Locklear