From: bexargro...@googlegroups.com<mailto:bexargro...@googlegroups.com>
[mailto:bexargro...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Geary Schindel
Sent: Wednesday, June 7, 2017 12:29 PM
To: Bexar Grotto
<bexargro...@googlegroups.com<mailto:bexargro...@googlegroups.com>>
Subject: [BexarGrotto] FW: 3D Mapping of Seco Creek Sinkhole - Thursday, June
15 from 12:05 pm

Folks,

Please note that we have two brown bag presentations next week at the Edwards
Aquifer Authority

On Tuesday, June 13, Benjy von Cramon will be presenting his film on
Madagascar. This is not the cartoon version. The presentation will start at
11:30 am.

On Thursday, June 15, Benjy and I will present the results of the 3D mapping
pilot project of the Seco Creek Sinkhole. This will occur at 12:05 pm. Both
presentations will be in the Recharge Room at the Edwards Aquifer Authority.

Thanks,

Geary Schindel

Edwards Aquifer Philosophical Society –

aka brown bag luncheon

Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 12:05 PM

3D Mapping of the Seco Creek Sinkhole,
A View of an Edwards Aquifer Recharge Feature from the Inside

By Benjamin von Cramon
and
Geary M. Schindel, P.G.
At

Edwards Aquifer Authority
Training Room
900 E Quincy Street, San Antonio, TX 78215

Mr. Benjamin von Cramon and Mr. Geary Schindel will make a presentation on “3D
mapping of the Seco Creek Sinkhole, A View of an Edwards Aquifer Recharge
Feature from the Inside.” The presentation will occur on Thursday, June 15,
2016 from 12:05 PM 1:05 PM in the Training Room at the Edwards Aquifer
Authority, 900 E. Quincy Street, San Antonio, Texas. These are informal
presentations so please feel free to bring your lunch. You may also contact the
EAA at 210.222.2204 or www.edwardsaquifer.org<http://www.edwardsaquifer.org/>
for additional directions.

If you are traveling a long distance for the talk, I would recommend that you
call our receptionist at 210.222.2204 that morning to make sure that the talk
is still scheduled.  On very rare occasions, we have had to cancel or move the
talk.  I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Abstract
We will present the results of a pilot program to test the feasibility of using
3D photoreal mapping of the Seco Creek Sinkhole located in Medina County,
Texas. This presentation will introduce the audience to 3D film and photo
techniques utilizing cutting edge technology. The 3D model has multiple uses
including an educational model of recharge features, cave geology and
hydrology, and also allows tracking and measurement of sediment transport. The
Seco Creek (Valdina Farm) Sinkhole is an important recharge site in the Edwards
Aquifer. The cave is composed of a 150-foot-deep natural shaft that leads to
approximately 1,000 feet of cave. During heavy rains, the cave shaft will fill
to the top with rushing water.

The 3D photoreal model offers the opportunity to view the Seco Creek Sinkhole
without getting dirty or exposed to the vertical drops. It allows for detailed
analysis of the cave and model can be easily operated with a game controller.

Biography
Benjamin von Cramon, film maker — His body of work defies clean titles and easy
categories. In 25 years of writing, shooting, and editing for broadcast,
institutional, and private industry, von Cramon recalibrates between wildly
disparate projects, from documentaries filmed in prisons to stories in Fourth
World homesteads to intensely visceral adventure docs deep underground. The
auteur is as comfortable developing content around issues of great social
import as he is problem-solving advanced technologies used to innovate the art
of story-telling.

A Fellow of the National Speleological Society and The Explorers Club, a
qualified stereo rig tech for Element Technica, and a developer for Autodesk
Labs, Reality Capture Group, the arc of his dynamic career reflects a sustained
effort to elevate the latest technologies in their usefulness to education for
highly visual learning experiences. Each of von Cramon’s projects are informed
by broad humanities education, grounded in highly physical experiences, and are
inspired by unbound curiosity and tempered hope for the human condition.

Geary Schindel is the Chief Technical Officer of the Edwards Aquifer Authority.
He has been a caver for more than 40 years and is the President Elect of the
National Speleological Society (NSS). Geary is a fellow of the NSS and the
Geological Society of America. He holds a BS degree from West Virginia
University and an MS from Western Kentucky University.
Thank you.
Geary

[https://ucarecdn.com/cfe99bfa-9ee9-4330-862f-aee807af1b4c/-/resize/132x68/img.png]<http://www.edwardsaquifer.org/>

Geary Schindel