Southwest Airlines yesterday announced $99 fares one way from Houston to ALB.

From: Texascavers [mailto:texascavers-boun...@texascavers.com] On Behalf Of
David via Texascavers
Sent: Thursday, June 8, 2017 5:37 PM
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Cc: David <dlocklea...@gmail.com>
Subject: [Texascavers] Abilene related

Any cavers here live in Abilene ?

If I drive to Rio Rancho from Houston, it looks like I should make a short
pit-stop in Abilene.

I plan to pass thru Abilene at 3 am on the 17th or 18th.

I have a comfy bed in the back of my Sequoia and an ice-chest full of beverages
and plenty of snacks, and can shower at a truck stop.

So I really do not need to stop for long.   It is a bad idea to drive from 3
a.m. to 5 a.m.   And it is a good way to get mugged sleeping in your car at
those hours, but also often attracts law enforcement sleeping somewhere in your
car at those hours.   The main thing is it may be way too hot to get sound
sleep in my car.

I have bigger concerns on this tentative road-trip.   I am in worse mental and
physical shape than I was on my quickie trip last year to Nevada.   Meaning I
really just need a quiet tranquil vacation near a waterfall.   Plus my Sequoia
has 190,000 miles, and all I have done to the Sequoia since purchasing it, is a
new radiator cap and air-filter and oil changes.   Meaning that it needs lots
and lots of TLC before a big road-trip.

I do have plenty of good news though.   I have plenty of work in my
self-employed enterprise, enough to justify staying home.   And most of all, I
have my new computer that I built running very good on a new Linux distro,
called "Mageia 6" which won't be available to the general public for at least 3
more weeks.    And my kid finished the 6th grade.   And it looks like I will
make it to my 53rd birthday.

I have about 8 days to decide if I go on a big road-trip.  I won't commit to
The Howdy Party until I get close to the New Mexico border west of Lubbock.

Meaning I might get as far as Lubbock and turn around and come home.

The bizarre dilemma I have is giving up my motel for a week just to save $ 280,
will be a huge setback, such that I am better off to just flush $ 280 down the
toilet and pay the motel while I am gone.

Maybe I can sub-let it out to a crazier person than me on Craiglist while I am
gone ??   That will add some flavor to the trip report.   Right ??

David Locklear

281-995-8487